Juan P. Olano, M.D.
Department of Pathology;
Director, Residency Training Program;
Member, Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77555-0428
Office (409) 772-2870
Fax: (409) 747-2400
||Field of Study
||University of Cauca, Colombia
||University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
||Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Program
||Pathology Residency Program, UTMB
||Clinical Microbiology and Experimental Pathology, Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Tropical Diseases, UTMB
||Paul Brindley Distinguished Scholar. UTMB
||George Dock Distinguished Professorship in Pathology
||Excellence in Teaching Award. UTMB Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
||America’s Top Pathologists.
||America’s Top Doctors.
||Commendation for excellence in laboratory instruction in the Pathobiology and host defense course
||UTMB Hospitals. Outstanding Resident/Fellow Award
||James W. McLaughlin Travel Award, UTMB.
||Pathology Resident Research Honorable mention, Pathology Trainee Research Session, UTMB, Galveston, TX.
||Excellence in Research Postgraduate Award, UTMB.
||Excellence in Pathology Patient Services, UTMB
||Competitive George Dock Scholarship Postgraduate Grant, UTMB.
||Medical School: Cum Laude graduate, University of Cauca, Popayan, Colombia
||Texas Society of Pathology
||American Society for Rickettsiology
||Binford-Dammin Society of Infectious Disease Pathologists
American Society for Investigative Pathology
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
American Society for Microcirculation
My research interests are focused on the pathogenesis of obligate intracellular bacteria, namely rickettsiae and ehrlichiae. My long term goal is to study molecular pathogenesis of rickettsioses, specifically on microvascular permeability and to elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying the increased vascular permeability seen in rickettsioses. Specifically, I am interested in adherens- and tight junction proteins and the signal transduction pathways involved in their regulation. Such increased vascular permeability leads to cerebral and pulmonary edema, the two main causes of morbidity and mortality in human rickettsioses. In addition, I also have two funded projects in rickettsial diseases. The first project focuses on the development of ultrasensitive diagnostic methods for rickettsial infections during the acute phase of the disease in collaboration with the University of Houston and Sandia National Laboratories in California; the second project focuses on the development of small animal models to study rickettsioses acquired via aerosols.
Selected Publications (Out of 65)
- Olano, J.P.; Wolf, W.; Keherly, M.; Gelman, B.B. Quantifying apoptosis in banked human brains using flow cytometry. J. Neuropath. Exp. Neurol. 55(11):1164-1172; 1996
- Olano, J.P.; Holmes, H.; Woods, G.L. Evaluation of the Myko AKT latex agglutination test for rapid diagnosis of Mycobacterium avium complex infections. Diag. Microbiol. Infec. Disease.30:71-74; 1998
- Sotomayor, E.; Popov, V.L.; Feng, H.M.; Walker, D.H.; Olano, J.P. Animal model of human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis. Am. J. Path. 158(2):757-769; 2001
- Olano, J.P.; Walker, D.H. Current recommendations for diagnosis and treatment of the human ehrlichioses, Inf. in Med.19:318-325; 2002
- Olano, J.P.; Hogrefe, W.; Seaton, B.; Walker, D.H. Clinical manifestations epidemiology and laboratory diagnosis of human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis in a commercial laboratory setting. Clin. Diag. Lab. Immun. 10:891-896; 2003
- Olano, J.P.; Masters, E.; Hogrefe, W.; Walker, D.H. Human Monocytotropic Ehrlichiosis, Missouri. Emerging Infect. Dis.9:1579-1586; 2003
- Ismail, N.; Soong, L.; Olano, J.P.; Walker, D.H. Overproduction of TNF-a and downregulation of IFN-g-dominated Th1 response contribute to toxic shock-like syndrome in an animal model of fatal human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis. J. Immunol.172:1786-1800; 2004
- Olano, J.P.; Wen, G.; Feng, H.M.; McBride, J.W.; Walker, D.H. Histologic, serologic, and molecular analysis of persistent ehrlichiosis in a murine model. Am. J. Path. 165:997-1006; 2004
- Wen, G; McBride, JW; Zhang, X; Olano, JP. Early diagnosis of rickettsioses by electrochemiluminescence. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2006:1078:590-594
- Woods ME, Olano JP. Host defenses to Rickettsia rickettsii infection contribute to increased microvascular permeability in human cerebral endothelial cells. J Clin Immunol. 2008;28:174-185.
- Olano, J.P. and Walker, D.H. Human ehrlichioses. In The Medical Clinics of North America. Tick Borne Diseases, Edlow, J.A. (Ed). WB Saunders Co., 86:375-393, 2002.
- Olano JP. Rickettsial infections. Hechemy KE, Oteo JA, Raoult D, Silverman D, Blanco JR (eds). Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2005;1063:187-196.
- Dong J., Olano JP., McBride J., Walker DH. Emerging Pathogens: Challenges and Successes of Molecular Diagnostics. J of Molecular Diagnostics. 10:184-197; 2008.
- Cowan, D.F., Olano, J.P. A Practical Guide to Clinical Laboratory Testing, Malden, Massachusetts, Blackwell Science, Inc., 1997.
- Olano, J.P. Human Ehrlichioses. In Tropical Dermatology. Stephen K. Tyring, Omar Lupi, Ulrich R. Hengge (Eds.), Elsevier Inc. 2006.
- Olano, J.P., Peters, C.J., Walker, D.H. Distinguishing tropical infectious disease from bioterrorism. In Tropical Infectious Diseases: Principles, Pathogens and Practice. Guerrant, R., Walker,D.H., Weller P (eds), 2nd Edition, Elsevier Churchill Livingston, Philadelphia, 2006:1386-1399.
- Olano, J.P., Krogstad, D.J., Guerrant, R.L., Weller, P.F. and Walker, D.H. Principles of Parasitism: Host-Parasite interactions. In Tropical Infectious Diseases: Principles, Pathogens and Practice, 2nd Edition, Elsevier Churchill Livingston, Philadelphia, 2006:1-12.
- Olano J.P, Aguero-Rosenfeld ME. Ehrlichia, Anaplasma and related intracellular bacteria. In ASM Manual for Clinical Microbiology. Murray P.,(ed in chief). 9th Edition. American Society for Microbiology Press. Washington DC. 2007.
- Olano J.P. Human Ehrlichioses. In Rickettsial Diseases. Raoult D, Parola P, (eds). Informa Health Care, USA, Inc. New York. 2007.
- Olano JP. Molecular Pathology of lung parasitic infections. In Molecular Pathology of Lung Diseases (Cagle P, Zander DS, Jagirdr J, Barrios R, Haque A, Popper H, Eds). Springer Science and Bussiness Media, Inc. Norwell MA. 2007:442-458.
- Olano JP, Walker DH. Agents of emerging infectious diseases. In Vaccines against biothreat and emerging infectious diseases. Stanberry L, Barrett ADT (eds). Academic Press. 2009.