Our current research project on “Pathogenesis of virus-induced acute otitis media (AOM)” is in its second cycle of funding by the NIH. The ongoing prospective, longitudinal study will determine the interaction between genetics and environment in influencing URI and AOM incidence. The current prospective study will include 300 infants with and without a genetic polymorphism (TNFa-308) followed to the first AOM episode up to 1 year of age. Polymorphic and control subjects will be enrolled into the study within the first month of life. The dynamics of nasopharyngeal bacterial colonization in the first 6 mos. of life, incidence of symptomatic URI and AOM will be compared; influence of environmental risk factors on URI and AOM incidence will also be evaluated. In addition, further the association between several other cytokine/ chemokine gene polymorphisms and OM susceptibility will be determined.
- Tasnee Chonmaitree, M.D., Principal investigator
- Janak A. Patel, M.D., Co-investigator
- David P. McCormick, M.D., Co-investigator
- Reuben Matalon, M.D., Co-investigator
- Kristofer Jennings, Ph. D., Co-investigator/ Biostatistician
- Johanna Nokso-Koivisto, M.D., Ph.D., Visiting Scientist/ Research fellow
- Linda C. Ede, M.D., Research Fellow
- Pedro Fernandez-Alvarez, M.D., Research Fellow
- Milagro Hernandez, Research Coordinator
- Ying Xiong, B.S., Research Associate
NIH R01 DC 005841 Pathogenesis of virus-induced acute otitis media (Chonmaitree)
9/02-6/08 ................. $2,232,072
7/08-6/14 ................. $3,015,686
NIH R01 DC 005841-08-S1
7/10-6/11 ................. $85,680
- Kalu SU, Ataya RS, McCormick DP, Patel JA, Revai K, Chonmaitree T. Clinical spectrum of acute otitis media complicating upper respiratory tract viral infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J, 2011, 30(2):95-99 (E-pub ahead of print Aug 12, 2010).
- Patel JA, Nair S, Ochoa EE, Huda, Roberts NJ, Chonmaitree T. IL- 6-174 and TNFa-308 polymorphisms enhance cytokine production by human macrophages exposed to respiratory viruses. Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research, 2010, 30(12):917-21 (E-pub ahead of print Oct 25, 2010).
- Loeffelholz M, Chonmaitree T. Advances in diagnosis of respiratory virus infections. International Journal of Microbiology 2010, doi:10.1155/2010/126049.
- Kalu SU, Loeffelholz M, Beck E, Patel JA, Revai K, Fan J, Henrickson KJ, Chonmaitree T. Persistence of adenovirus nucleic acids in nasopharyngeal secretions: a diagnostic conundrum. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010, 29: 746-750.
- Patel JA, Nair S, Revai K, Grady JJ, Chonmaitree T. Nasopharyngeal Acute Phase Cytokines in Viral Upper Respiratory Infection: Impact on Acute Otitis Media in Children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2009, 28: 1002-1007.
- Revai K, Patel JA, Grady JJ, Nair S, Matalon R, Chonmaitree T. Association between cytokine gene polymorphisms and risk for upper respiratory tract infection and acute otitis media. Clin Infect Dis 2009, 49: 257-61.
- Patel JA, Nair S, Grady JJ, Revai R, Victor S, Brasier AR, Chonmaitree T. Systemic cytokine response profiles associated with respiratory virus-induced acute otitis media. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2009, 28: 407-411.
- Pettigrew MM, Gent JF, Revai K, Patel JA, Chonmaitree T. Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Moraxella catarrhalis, and Staphylococcus aureus interactions during upper respiratory tract infection. Emerging Infect Dis 2008, 14: 1584-91.
- Revai K, Patel JA, Grady JJ, Chonmaitree T. Tympanometric findings in young children during upper respiratory tract infections with and without acute otitis media. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2008, 27: 292-5.
- Chonmaitree T, Revai K, Grady JJ, Clos A, Patel JA, Nair S, Fan J, Henrickson KJ. Viral upper respiratory tract infection and otitis media complication in young children. Clin Infect Dis 2008, 46:815-823.
- Revai K, Mamidi D, Chonmaitree T. Association of nasopharyngeal bacterial colonization during upper respiratory tract infection and the development of acute otitis media. Clin Infect Dis 2008, 46: e34-e37.
- McCormick DP, Chandler SM, Chonmaitree T. Laterality of acute otitis media: Different clinical and microbiological characteristics. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2007, 26: 583-8.
- Revai K, Dobbs LA, Nair S, Patel JA, Grady JJ, Chonmaitree T. Incidence of acute otitis media and sinusitis complicating upper respiratory tract infection: The effect of age. Pediatrics 2007, 119: e1408-e1412.
- Revai K, McCormick DP, Patel J, Grady JJ, Saeed K, Chonmaitree T. Effect of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on nasopharyngeal bacterial colonization during acute otitis media. Pediatrics 2006, 117: 1823-9.
- Patel JA, Nair S, Revai K, Grady JJ, Saeed K, Matalon R, Block S, Chonmaitree T. Association of proinflammatory cytokine gene polymorphisms with susceptibility to otitis media. Pediatrics 2006, 118: 2273-9