Lung Inflammation and Trauma
Dr. Schmalstieg’s research is aimed at understanding the immunology and cell biology of lung inflammation associated with respiratory distress secondary to trauma. This work is aided by access to a unique large animal intensive care unit that is capable of sophisticated instrumentation of animals for both short and long term experiments. The present efforts are centered on investigation of cell signaling through airway and alveolar epithelium and endothelium to identify strategies for treatment of respiratory distress.
- Frank C. Schmalstieg, M.D.
- Daniel Traber, M.D.(Anesthesiology)
- Hal Hawkins, M.D.(Pathology)
Dr. Schmalstieg’s research is supported through a program project grant, several NIH supported grants, and support through Shriners of North America.
- Shimoda, K., K. Murakami, P. Enkhbaatar, L. D. Traber, R. A. Cox, H. K. Hawkins, F. C. Schmalstieg, K. Komjati, J. G. Mabley, C. Szabo, A. L. Salzman, and D. L. Traber. Effect of poly(ADP ribose) synthetase inhibition on burn and smoke inhalation injury in sheep. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 285: L240-9, 2003.
- Murakami, K., P. Enkhbaatar, K. Shimoda, R. A. Cox, A. S. Burke, H. K. Hawkins, L. D. Traber, F. C. Schmalstieg, A. L. Salzman, J. G. Mabley, K. Komjati, P. Pacher, Z. Zsengeller, C. Szabo, and D. L. Traber. Inhibition of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase attenuates acute lung injury in an ovine model of sepsis. Shock 21:126-33, 2004
- Schmalstieg, F. C. and J. B. Zwischenberger. The artificial lung/inflammatory interface: a refocus of the problem. ASAIO J 50:6-8, 2004
- Vertrees, R. A., R. Nason, M. D. Hold, A. M. Leeth, F. C. Schmalstieg, P. J. Boor, and J. B. Zwischenberger. Smoke/burn injury-induced respiratory failure elicits apoptosis in ovine lungs and cultured lung cells, ameliorated with arteriovenous CO2 removal. Chest 125:1472-82, 2004
- Dallas D.V., Keeney S.E., Mathews M.J., and Schmalstieg F.C. Effects of Postnatal Dexamethasone on Oxygen Toxicity in Neonatal Rats. Biol. Neonate, 86:145-154, 2004.
- Enkhbaatar, P., K. Murakami, R. Cox, M. Westphal, N. Morita, K. Brantley, A. Burke, H. Hawkins, F. Schmalstieg, L. Traber, D. Herndon, and D. Traber. Aerosolized tissue plasminogen inhibitor improves pulmonary function in sheep with burn and smoke inhalation. Shock 22: 70-5, 2004.
- Thompson, L. R., S. E. Keeney, D. Tarrant, E. Rudloff, D. V. Dallas, and F. C. Schmalstieg. Lipopolysaccharide protection from oxygen toxicity: effect on rat pulmonary selectins. Inflammation 28: 147-57, 2004.