Biostatistics Shared Resource (BSR) Facility
Overview of BSR • BSR Facility Mission • Importance of Design and Data Integrity
Specialized Services and Areas of Expertise • Prioritization of Services to Cancer Center Members
Director: Robert Ullrich, Ph.D.
For assistance, contact: Yimei (May) Han
Core Facility Location:
Medical Research Building, Rm 9.138
Sealy Center for Cancer Cell Biology
Medical Research Building, Rm. 9.138
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-1048
Overview of BSR
Established in late 2007, the Biostatistics Share Resource Facility operates under the auspices of the UTMB Cancer Center. The BSR serves as a centralized resource for comprehensive and high quality statistical support to all aspects of cancer research, including basic science, translational research and clinical studies. The ultimate goal of the BSR Facility is to promote collaborative relationships among members of the UTMB Cancer Center, as evidenced by inclusion in peer-reviewed research grant support and joint publications.
BSR Facility Mission
The goal of the Biostatistics Shared Resource (BSR) Facility is to foster collaborative interactions among members of the UTMB Cancer Center in the provision of scientific and statistical support to all aspects of cancer research.
Importance of Design and Data Integrity
While the Biostatistics Shared Resource (BSR) Facility provides a palette of statistical support services, a primary function of the division is to assist scientists in the development of effective and successful investigative projects. Researchers who thoughtfully consider statistical criteria at project initiation are often better positioned to optimize research results, and, thus funding success.
BSR staff members are highly trained in the design and application of statistical methodology as an important component of the research project. Investigators are urged to engage BSR services at the design phase of scientific research proposals and projects.
Specialized Services and Areas of Expertise
The Cancer Center’s BSR Facility provides the following services to cancer researchers:
- Study design and determination of sample size to optimize resource utilization
- Planning of in vitro, in vivo studies of animal cancer models and translational studies
- Design and oversight of clinical trials
- Monitoring of safety/toxicity and efficacy parameters in clinical trials
- Development of database and information management systems
- Generation of interim statistical reports
- Application of innovative statistical methodology in cancer research
- Analysis and interpretation of final statistical data
- Training and teaching through cancer-specific programs at UTMB
Prioritization of Services to Cancer Center Members
As a core facility of the UTMB Cancer Center, the BSR provides support services to its members as follows:
- Statistical consultations, provided free of charge, include:
• Limited/minor statistical input to cancer-related, peer-reviewed funded projects
• Development of statistical components of cancer-related, peer-reviewed grant applications
• Limited/minor statistical input to cancer-related, non-peer-reviewed funded projects
- Cancer-related, peer-reviewed funded projects that require significant statistical support must be funded within individual grants.
- Cancer-related, peer-reviewed projects that must be fully supported by funding and negotiated, in advance between the investigator and the BSR Facility Director.
Statistical consultations that are not cancer-related research projects will be directed to the UTMB’s Office of Biostatistics, which provides comprehensive statistical support to various kinds of research studies. Information about these services is available at http://www/utmb.edu/biostat/.