The Human Tumor Bank Core
Services and Procedures
Mission Statement • Services and Procedures • Tissue Request Form
Frozen tissues (active)
Total RNA extraction (in planning)
Crude Protein extraction (in planning)
Genomic DNA extraction (in planning)
A. Fill our the tissue request form
B. Send the following items to Dr. Suimin Qiu, Director of the tissue bank (John Sealy Annex 2.190, ext.28451) for approval.
- Tissue request form
- Copy of your IRB approval letter from the Institutional Review Board of the office of Research Subject Protections of UTMB
- Copy of Notification of Use (NOU) to work with biological agents from Biological Safety Committee of UTMB
- The list of tissue and number requested
C. After your request is approved, you will be informed to schedule a time for tissue pickup.
D. It is important that you bring dry ice, gloves and blades with your for handling tissue
- To best preserve human tissues from degradation, specimens will be processed one at a time. We estimate that one hour is needed to process five pairs of tissues. Please keep this time in mind when you schedule your experiments.
- If the requested tissues have been processed previously, we will first promote collaboration and material sharing before processing the same tissues twice.
- The pathology of a particular tissue is based on the information we received. It is the researcher's responsibility to determine the actual histology of each specimen.
- This procedure will be trialed for one year and is subject to changes according to feedback from researchers.