Elena Volpi, MD, PhD
Daisy Emery Allen Distinguished Chair in Geriatric Medicine;Professor, Departments of Internal Medicine-Geriatrics, Neuroscience and Cell Biology, Nutrition and Metabolism, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Sealy Center on Aging; Director, UTMB Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center; Associate Director, Institute for Translational Sciences
» Visit my SciVal profile at UTMB
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77555-0117
Phone: (409) 772-1977
Fax: (409) 772-1942
Physical functioning and sarcopenia in older adults; Protein metabolism; Muscle metabolism in type 2 diabetes; Exercise and nutritional regulation of muscle growth; Sex/gender disparities in metabolism; Ethnic/racial disparities in metabolism
MD 1989 University of Perugia, Italy; PhD 1995 University of Perugia, Italy
- Matveyenko AV, Liuwantara D, Gurlo T, Kirakossian D, Dalla Man C, Cobelli C, White MF, Copps KD, Volpi E, Fujita S, and Butler PC. Pulsatile portal insulin delivery enhances hepatic insulin action and signaling. Diabetes, In Press
- Dickinson JM, Drummond MJ, Fry CS, Gundermann DM, Walker DK, Timmerman KL, Volpi E, and Rasmussen BB. Rapamycin does not affect post-absorptive protein metabolism in human skeletal muscle. Metabolism 62(1):144-151, 2013 (PMCID: in process)
- Dickinson JM, Drummond MJ, Coben JR, Volpi E, and Rasmussen BB. Aging differentially affects human skeletal muscle amino acid transporter expression when essential amino acids are ingested after exercise. Clin Nutr 32(2):273-280, 2013
- Fry CS, Drummond MJ, Glynn EL, Dickinson JM, Gundermann DM, Timmerman KL, Walker DL, Volpi E, and Rasmussen BB. Skeletal muscle autophagy and protein breakdown following resistance exercise are similar in young and older adults. J Gerontol Series A Med Sci 68(5):599-607, 2013.
- Butteiger DN, Cope M, Liu P, Mukherjea R, Volpi E, Rasmussen BB, and Krul ES. A soy, whey and caseinate blend extends postprandial skeletal muscle protein synthesis in rats. Clinical Nutrition. In Press [Epub ahead of print, Oct 13, 2012].
- Reidy PT, Walker DK, Dickinson JM, Gundermann DM, Drummond MJ, Timmerman KL, Fry CS, Borack MS, Cope MB, Mukherjea R, Jennings K, Volpi E, Rasmussen BB. Protein blend ingestion following resistance exercise promotes human muscle protein synthesis. J Nutr 143(4):410-416, 2013
- Glynn EL, Fry CS, Timmerman KL, Drummond MJ, Volpi E, and Rasmussen BB. Addition of carbohydrate or alanine to an essential amino acid mixture does not enhance human skeletal muscle protein anabolism. J Nutr, 143(3):307-14, 2013