PLEASE NOTE: This page is provided as a service, noting a variety of services and agencies available for aiding in a variety of situations. Listing does not indicate endorsement by UTMB or Student Counseling. Any fees incurred by use of any of the services listed will be the responsibility of the person using those services. We strive to keep the list updated, so if you have more current or accurate information, please notify the Student Counseling at 747-9508.
iPhone App for Suicide Prevention
- To download this app on an iPhone, iPad or iTunes, search for "suicide prevention" and look for "ASK."
The app features the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number, 1-800-273-8255, warning signs, how to ask the question about suicide to save a life, and a list of Texas' community mhmr centers. This app was developed from a non-proprietary suicide prevention training program called ASK (ASK about suicide / Seek more information / Know where to refer) which was developed by Mental Health America of Texas. The suicide prevention app is supported by the Texas Department of State Health Services and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration through the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act.
Private Psychotherapists, Counselors and Psychiatrists, for Children, Adults, Couples & Families
- There are many private practitioners in the Galveston area. Look in the Yellow Pages under "counseling" for a directory of service provider listings. Most will accept insurance, and are on managed care panels. The UTMB Department of Psychiatry at 772-0770 provides both private and sliding-scale services. Some off-campus practitioners offer a discount to UTMB students; please contact Student Counselilng for information.
Sliding Fee Scale Mental Health Services
- Gulf Coast Center substance abuse treatment, (409)762-5935
- Family Service Association, (409)762-8636. Offices in Galveston and Texas City . Children, families, couples & adults.
- UTMB Department of Psychiatry, (409)772-0770. All ages.
- Depelchin Children's Center, League City (281)282-6062. Children & families.
12-Step Meeting Information (days, times, locations)
Bereavement Support Group
Hospice Care Team sponsors regularly scheduled discussion groups. Groups are free of charge and are open to anyone in the process of grieving who feels they can benefit from sharing with others who are going through similar feelings. For information, call Hospice Care Team at (409) 938-0070.
Women's Resource and Crisis Center
- A resource for individuals (women and men) who are seeking refuge from abusive relationships, or who have been the victim of abuse or violence. Temporary shelter available. 24-hour crisis hotline. Galveston/Bolivar (409)765-SAFE, mainland Galveston County (888) 919-SAFE. WRCC welcomes donations of clothing and household good for their thrift stores, which help support their services, they welcome volunteer help as well, call their administrative office at (409) 763-1441 for information, or check their website.
UTMB Mediation Service
- A voluntary dispute resolution process involving negotiation between two parties facilitated by UTMB mediators. Available to UTMB students, residents, and employees. For more information contact the Affirmative Action Office at 772-1463, the Employee Assistance Program at 772-2485, or Human Resources Employee Relations at 747-2352.
Women's Information and Referral Exchange (WIRES)
- Information about a variety of programs and services in the Houston-Galveston area. (713) 528-2121.
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Association of UTMB Galveston
- A resource for gay, lesbian and bisexual students and their friends and colleagues. This is a registered UTMB student organization and welcomes all interested persons.
- AIDS Helpline: Information for health professionals. (800)548-4659. Literature searches, educational resources, clinical consultations, etc. Sponsored by AIDS Regional Education and Training Centers .
- Confidential HIV testing: Available at Student Counseling call 747-9508 to schedule an appointment.
- Galveston County Health Clinic (4C's Clinic): 4700 Broadway, Galveston . Call 765-2537 to make an appointment.
- Eating Disorders Group: Sponsored by Devereux Hospital in League City . Free. Call (281)332-8608 for information.
- UTMB Enrollment Services (Financial Aid): always the first place to start. Located in Jamail Student Center. Visit their website or call 747-9508 for information.
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service will help you with solutions to getting your finances back into shape. Call them at (800) 873-2227 or visit their website.