Occupational Exposures to Blood-Borne
- Do not recap needles.
- Place used sharp instruments into sharps container immediately
- Keep hands out of container.
- Wear gloves and protective eyewear as needed.
- Be alert when assisting at procedures.
If a needlestick, splash, or other body fluid exposure occurs:
- Decontaminate - Wash skin (affected area) with soap
and water. Flush eyes/nose/mouth with water or saline.
- Notify supervisor immediately.
- Come to or call SHS at 747-9508 immediately if exposure occurs
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. After hours
call the Healthcare Hotline at 1-800-269-8478 for instructions.
Procedure for obtaining source blood
- Known Source
- Obtain informed consent from source for HIV testing (located
on Pathology/Microbiology IV Form).
- If source is under general anesthesia or comatose, general
consent will suffice.
- If source refuses consent, notify UTMB Legal Department at
- Obtain two (2) serum separator tubes of blood.
- Use lab slip "Source of Occupational Exposure"
or miscellaneous slip stating "Source of Occupational Exposure".
- Document in source's medical record "source of occupational
exposure" and indicate labs were drawn for HIV, HCV, and
HBsAg with source's consent.
- Send blood with informed consent to Laboratory's Main Receiving,
5th floor McCullough Bldg.