Add a biotechnology twist to your life sciences and biology classroom curricula! Our one-week BLT Institute delivers a connected series of TEKS-aligned biotechnology content/activities suitable for Middle School Life Science through High School Advanced Biotechnology!
Content and skills are gained through multimedia presentations and in-laboratory, hands-on application of techniques. Example objectives include:
- Become proficient in the use of micropipetters
- Utilize select separation technologies, including column chromatography and gel electrophoresis
- Perform a blind study using enzymes
- Become familiar with spectrophotometery and generating standard curves during investigations of protein concentration
- Utilize PCR to type (copy) a segment of DNA
- Exploit antibodies and the immune system to perform simulated medical diagnoses
Attending teachers will also receive:
- 40 hours of CPE credit after completing Institute Evaluation
- Equipment/materials to repeat selected activities in your classroom (minimum $500 value)
- One year of continuing support
Dr. Michele Marquette will lead the BLT Institute. Michele holds a Ph.D. in Biomedical Science from UTMB, performed dissertation and post-doc research at NASA-Johnson Space Center, and is a former high school educator.
Dr. Marquette will be assisted by Dr. Marguerite Sognier.
T-STEM Academy teachers serviced by the Southeast Regional T-STEM Center are eligible to attend. Teachers
in Galveston County and surrounding area are also eligible to attend. You will be responsible for your own
travel expenses and lodging. However, hotel rooms have been reserved at GSA rates, if needed. Lunch will be
provided during the training.
Payments are due in advance of training. Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or participants that do not attend.
The registration fee may be paid with a credit card, electronic check, or direct billed to a Purchase Order. If using a PO, please contact Dr. Marquette with your PO # for special instructions.
|Engineering is Elementary||through 12:00:00 AM Saturday, May 10, 2014||$ 150.00|
Please complete all requested information and print your confirmation/receipt page when registration is complete.
|2014 Online Application||closed|
Once you have completed the registration process, please contact Dr. Marguerite Sognier. She will provide contact information for lodging accommodations reserved at state rate.
Dr. Marguerite Sognier
Co-Director, Galveston County Regional Collaborative
Director, Educational Outreach
Executive Director, SRT-STEM Center