Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

If I go to the Counseling Center, does that mean there's something wrong with me?
No, it doesn't. Most students who use our services are interested in their personal growth and adjustment to changes in their lives. Many students face normal developmental concerns and academic pressures while at UTMB, and at times feel anxious, angry, or depressed. It is often helpful to gain the perspective of a neutral professional. CAPS staff may help you think about alternatives or options to your behavior and ways of dealing with the world.

Who is eligible to use the counseling center?
Our services are provided for those students currently enrolled in the academic session during which the counseling takes place.

Will my counseling records be a part of my academic record?
All counseling records are confidential and are not part of the academic record.

Do some graduate schools, professional board or regulatory agencies request counseling records?
Yes some graduate schools, professional boards or regulatory agencies request counseling records. However, the Center can only release information with your written permission.

Is there a charge for services?
There is no fee for counseling provided on campus. However, should you require services not available on campus, you will be referred off campus to an appropriate agency. You will be responsible for the off campus agency's fees.

Are there time limits as to how long I can meet with my counselor?
The number of times you meet with your counselor will be determined by your progress and your counselor. Many students are able to resolve their issues in 3-7 visits.

If I'm worried about someone other than myself, what should I do?
Faculty, staff, peers and roommates can help students in need of counseling by calling to get information about our services and appointment times.

The individual in need of counseling should come in to make his/her own appointment. Although the counseling sessions are private and confidential, you may accompany the individual to the appointment to give support and encouragement.

What if I need to talk with someone on evenings or weekends?
CAPS is not open on evenings, weekends, holidays, or vacation breaks.

Call the Student Health Line 1-409-747-4357;
on campus dial 7-HELP