Karl E. Anderson, M.D.
Professor, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Karl E. Anderson, M.D.
Professor of Preventive Medicine and Community Health
Internal Medicine, and Pharmacology and Toxicology
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-1109
A graduate of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Dr. Anderson completed his residency and postgraduate training in gastroenterology at the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. He was a member of the faculty at the Rockefeller University, Cornell University Medical College and New York Medical College before coming to UTMB in 1987. He directs the Division of Human Nutrition in the Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, and is an active clinical investigator particularly on the General Clinical Research Center (GCRC), where he is also Associate Program Director. He is PI for UTMB's NIH K30 grant that supports a variety of clinical research education programs, Director of the Clinical Research Education Office, and Director of the Graduate Program (PhD or MS) in Clinical Science, which is suited particularly for physicians seeking advanced training in clinical research.
Dr. Anderson's research interests include (i) pathogenesis of human porphyrias and identification of factors that increase susceptibility; (ii) development of new therapies for porphyrias; (iii) effects of diet on drug metabolism in humans, especially by cytochrome P450 enzymes, and on circulating hormone levels; (iv) collaborative work on effects of soy feeding in humans on breast cancer risk.
Dr. Anderson clinical interests include human porphyrias, metabolic and nutritional aspects of liver disease, and general clinical gastroenterology and hepatology.
- Egger NE, Goeger DE, Payne DA, Miskovsky EP, Weinman SA, Anderson KE. Porphyria cutanea tarda: multiplicity of risk factors including HFE mutations, hepatitis C and inherited uroporphyrinogen decarboxylase deficiency. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2002; 47:419-426.
- Anderson KE, Bloomer JR, Bonkovsky HL, Kushner JP, Pierach CA, Pimstone NR, Desnick RJ: Recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of the acute porphyrias. Annals of Internal Medicine 2005;142:439-50.
- Huang Y, Cao S, Nagamani M, Anderson KE, Grady J, Lu L-JW: Decreased circulating levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-a) in postmenopausal women during consumption of soy containing isoflavones. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2005;90:3956-62.
- Nhan S, Anderson KE, Nagamani M, Grady JJ, Lu LJ: Effect of a soymilk supplement containing isoflavones on urinary f2 isoprostane levels in premenopausal women. Nutrition and Cancer 2005;53(1):73-81.
- Akagi R, Kato N, Inoue R, Anderson KE, Jaffe EK, Sassa S: delta-Aminolevulinate dehydratase (ALAD) porphyria: The first case in North America with two novel ALAD mutations. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism. 2006:87:329-336.
- Akagi R, Inoue R, Muranaka S, Tahara T, Taketani S, Anderson KE, Phillips JD, Sassa S. Dual gene defects involving d-aminolaevulinate dehydratase and coproporphyrinogen oxidase in a porphyria patient. British Journal of Haematology. 2006;132:237-243.
- Anderson KE, Collins S. Open-label study of hemin for acute porphyria: clinical practice implications. American Journal of Medicine. 2006;119:19-24.
- Anderson KE: The porphyrias (Chapter 72), in Boyer T, Wright T, Manns M (eds): Zakim and Boyer's Hepatology: A Textbook of Liver Diseases. Philadelphia, Elsevier, 2006, pp 1391-1432. 9.
- Anderson KE, Porphyria cutanea tarda â€“ a possible role for ascorbic acid (Editorial) Hepatology, 2007;45(1):6-8. 10.
- Madan P, Schaaf CP, Vardhan P, Bhayana S, Chandra P, Anderson KE: Hans Gunther and his disease. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 2007;23(6):261-3.
- Desnick RJ, Astrin KH, Anderson KE. Heme biosynthesis and the porphyrias (Chapter 28). In: Suchy, FJ, Sokol, R,J, Balistreri, WF, eds. Liver Disease in Children, 3rd edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007, pp 677-693.
- Anderson KE. The porphyrias (Chapter 223). In: L. Goldman and D. Ausiello., eds. Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 23rd edition, Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Co., 2007, pp 1585-1593.