James Goodwin, MD
Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine
James S. Goodwin, MD
Professor Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Geriatric Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77550
|Degree/Training Completed||Year||Name & Location|
|B.A.||1967||Psychology Cum Laude, Amherst College, Amherst, MA|
|M.D.||1971||Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA(Aesculapian Society; class vice president; graduation speaker)|
|Internship||1972||Harbor General Hospital, Torrance, CA|
|Residency–Internal Medicine||1974–1976||University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM|
|Fellow in Rheumatology||1976–1978||University of New Mexico School of Medicine,
American Board Internal Medicine
American Board Geriatric Medicine
Publications: ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS: (from 330 total)
242. Shahinian VB, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Risk of fracture after androgen deprivation for prostate cancer. N Eng J Med 2005; 352(2):154-164.
273. Al Snih S, Ottenbacher KJ, Markides KS, Kuo YF, Eschbach K, Goodwin JS. The effect of obesity on Disability vs. Mortality in Older Americans. Arch Int Med 2007; 167(8):774-780.
300. Sharma G, Freeman JL, Zhang DD, Goodwin JS. Continuity of care and intensive Care Unit Use at the End of Life. Arch Intern Med 2009, Jan 12; 169(1):81-6.
304. Kuo YF, Sharma G, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Growth in the Care of Older Patients by Hospitalist in the United States. N Eng J Med 2009; 360(11):1102-12. PMID: 19279342
308. Sharma G, Fletcher KE, Zhang DD, Kuo Y-F, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Continuity of outpatient and inpatient care for hospitalized older adults. JAMA 2009 Apr 22; 301(16):1671-80.
Prior Experience Associated with other Medical Centers:
1972-1974Staff Associate, National Heart and Lung Institute, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD
1978-1981 Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
1981-1985 Associate Professor of Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
1980-1985 Chief, Division of Gerontology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
1985-1987 Research Professor (Adjunct), Department of Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
1985-1988 Professor and Vice Chairman, Department of Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
1988-1992 Professor of Medicine and Chief of Geriatrics, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Campus, Milwaukee, WI
1988-1992 Director, Sinai Samaritan Geriatrics Institute, Milwaukee, WI
Number of Years working with UTMB: 18yrs