Medical Student Programs in Orthopaedics
A/I Orthopaedic Surgical Rotations
UTMB medical students electing to do an A/I in orthopaedics can enroll through the the SOM website.
This is for both away and on campus students. Current Orthopaedic surgical rotation assignments:
- ORSU 4012 – A/I Ortho Surgery: Adult Reconstruction/Hip (Dr. Stephenson)
- ORSU 4013 – A/I Ortho Surgery: Pediatric Orthopaedics (Drs. Carmichael & Yngve)
- ORSU 4018 – A/I Ortho Surgery: Foot & Ankle (Dr. Panchbhavi)
- ORSU 4019 – A/I Ortho Surgery: Trauma (Dr. Carayannopoulos)
General Surgery Clerkship
MS3 students can rotate in Orthopaedic Surgery on the following services: Pedi, Foot & Ankle, Trauma, and Adult Reconstruction/Hip.
Orthopaedic Rotation Orientation Syllabus
Please direct all inquiries to the School of Medicine/Enrollment Services (409)772-1215
For more information on electives: SOM Elective Brochure
UTMB Medical Student Research Program
The UTMB Medical Student Research Program is for first year medical students that includes research under the supervision of a
faculty member. Each student participates in a weekly 1 - hour seminar program and in the presentation of his/her research results
a poster session at the conclusion of the program. Research projects can be from any discipline in the Medical Sciences and
students receive elective credit for their participation. For this rotation,
Form R is required.
2016 MSSRP Orthopaedics Presentations:
- Emmanuel Attah, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Characteristics of the preens brevis tendon: Defining the normaldimensions of a neglected muscle tendon.”
- Christina Haddad, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Do Heel Spurs Cause Heel Pain?”
- Ali Kassem, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Does pes cavus predispose ankle sprains?”
- Timothy Kundaje, Glenn Garcia, Daniel Jupiter, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Characterization of the Anterior Talofibular Ligament in the Ankle Joint.”
- Daniel Kunzler, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “ATFL reconstruction versus ATFL reconstruction with calcaneal osteotomy.”
- Laura J. Linscheid, Mentor: Zbigniew Gugala, “Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury and Surgical Reconstruction in the Skeletally Immature Patient.”
- Eric Mong, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Comparing plates with a countersunk intraplate compression screw versus extrapolate compression screw: A biomechanical study.”
- Somto Obi, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Patients' Perspectives and Opinions on the Sunshine Act.”
- Benjamin Parva, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Evaluating the Effectiveness of MRIs as a diagnostic tool in the context of Diabetic Neuropathy.”
- Pejma Shazadeh Safavi, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “A Systematic Review of the Current Surgical Interventions for Charcot Neuroarthropathy of the Foot.”
- Ryan Turner, Jie Chen, Mentor: Vinod Panchbhavi, “Effect of Calf Tourniquet on Ankle Alignment in a Simulated Supination External Rotation Injury.”
The Orthopaedic Student Society
The Orthopaedic Student Society allows interested students to learn more about the field of orthopaedics and build connections on
campus. Our goal is to hold informational meetings where faculty with various specializations, residents, and researchers come to
address topics in orthopaedics.
Federal Work Study Program
UTMB medical and allied health students may qualify for college work study positions in various departments on campus. Students
choose a department based on a written job description and interviews with department supervisors.