Category 1 Application Form
Category 1 Large Data Pilot Studies includes traditional pilot studies examining a rehabilitation question using large data from a research survey, administrative or healthcare dataset. Funding provided up to $25,000, inclusive of indirect costs.
- Applications open Jan 1. Submit a Letter of Intent by Feb 15 to CLDR.email@example.com including the following:
- Research question to be addressed
- Dataset to be used
- Name of a potential CLDR mentor
- Brief description of the project (1/2 page).
Notifications in response to the LOI will be sent on or around Feb 20.
- If selected to submit a full proposal, complete the Category 1 pilot application and include all required components. Application deadline is April 14.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Proposal must include a research question using a large research, survey or administrative dataset that addresses an issue related to rehabilitation, recovery, or disability (patient records or databases from a single hospital do not qualify).
- PI must have a research doctorate or relevant clinical degree with some evidence of research training and experience. PI must be able to show a minimum of 50% effort devoted to research.
Graduate students are not eligible to apply. Faculty mentors can apply as the primary PI and the student as the Co-PI.
Postdoctoral fellows are eligible to apply, but must include a faculty mentor at their institution as a co-investigator.
- PI must identify a CLDR faculty mentor and agree to adhere to all regulations regarding privacy and ethical conduct of research.
- All funded projects will be required to submit a progress report at 6 months and at the end of the funding period.
Category 1 Application Components
Submit a single document that includes the following components (3-5 page limit, excluding budget, biosketches, and references):
- Summary: Provide an overview of your study (one paragraph), including its rationale and importance to the rehabilitative sciences field.
- Specific Aims: State your specific aims and hypotheses.
- Method: Provide an overview of the study design and methods.
- Expected Results: State the expected outcome of your study and its impact on the field of rehabilitation.
- Future Implications: Briefly describe plans for future proposals.
- Databases: List the databases that the study proposes to use. Include a statement on the protection of human subjects or the IRB protocol submitted to your institution, if applicable.
- References: Include a list of references relevant to the project.
- Biosketches: Include brief biosketches of the PI and any faculty investigators who will be paid by the project. No biosketch required for the CLDR faculty mentor/collaborator.
- Funding*: Provide a detailed budget (up to $25,000 total costs); example below. Include a brief narrative justification describing the responsibilities of personnel and any supplies and/or other expenses requested. No effort/budget is required for the CLDR faculty mentor/collaborator.
| || |
|Name & Role||% effort||Salary Request||Benefits||Total|
|Jane Doe, PI||10%||$7,500||$1,823||$9,323|
|John Doe, Research Assistant||15%||$5,250||$1,586||$6,836|
| || || ||Total Personnel||$16,159|
|Supplies|| || || ||$2,500|
|Other Expenses|| || || ||$4,489|
|Total Direct Costs|| || || ||$23,148|
|Indirect Costs|| || || ||$1,852|
|Total Requested|| || || ||$25,000|
*Preference given to applications from institutions who agree to 8% indirect cost rate. Demonstrates commitment by the institution to the applicant, represents leveraging of federal funds on behalf of rehabilitation community, and is consistent with investment in junior investigators. Applicants should seek approval from their institutions prior to submission. Budget request should not exceed $25,000, inclusive of indirect costs. Third party sub awards are not allowed.
For additional information or questions about your proposal please contact us at: CLDR.firstname.lastname@example.org