Nominations for the 2023 Nicholas and Katherine Leone Award for Administrative Excellence
The Nicholas and Katherine Leone Award for Administrative Excellence is presented annually to a manager or supervisor who has achieved administrative excellence and abides by the values and standards outlined in the
UTMB Professionalism Charter and our core values.
The award was founded in 1971 through an endowment from Dr. Nicholas Leone, a former commanding officer and director of the Public Health Service Hospital in Galveston, and his wife Katherine.
Nomination Process and Eligibility Criteria
Any UTMB employee may nominate a manager or supervisor for the Leone Award using this online nomination form.
The Leone Award recognizes managers/supervisors who display the highest degree of professionalism and adhere to UTMB's standards of conduct. To be considered for the award, managers/supervisors must meet the following criteria:
- Benefits-eligible manager/supervisor
- Have a full-time Classified appointment (paid biweekly)
- Have at least 12 months of continuous service as a manager/supervisor in any UTMB department as of April 14, 2023
- Have at least one direct report identified within the PeopleSoft HCM system
- No performance improvement plan or corrective action initiated within the last 12 months
- Completed all mandatory requirements in FY22 (e.g., compliance training, testing, licensing, etc.)
- The winning manager/supervisor must be an active employee on May 26, 2023 to receive the award.
- An individual cannot win the Leone Award more than once in a five-year period.
The deadline for nominating a UTMB employee is April 14, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
The Leone Award recipient is selected by the UTMB Employee Advisory Council from the pool of qualified managers/supervisors. Only one winner will be chosen and formally recognized on May 26, 2023.
The award recipient and his or her department/unit receive a $7,500 monetary gift from the Leone endowment - $2,500, for the winning manager/supervisor and $5,000 for the department/unit.
Manager/Supervisor Award - $2,500
- The award recipient will receive a trophy and $2,500 for his or her personal use;
- The $2,500 award amount will be grossed up for tax purposes;
- The trophy will be presented to the winning manager/supervisor by May 26, 2023.
Department/Unit Award - $5,000
- The award recipient’s department/unit will receive $5,000 for employee training and development.
- Employee training and development includes but is not limited to:
- Educational conferences, seminars or workshops;
- Project management courses;
- Skills-based courses;
- Books or other materials meant to enhance employee knowledge/performance;
- The maximum award amount that may be spent on an individual is $1,000;
- Any funds not spent may be rolled over to the next fiscal year, until depleted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions regarding the Leone Award may be directed to: Tilly Clark, UTMB Employee Advisory Council, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (409) 747-6753.