N-95 Donning/Donning Instructions
Donning & DoffingIn order to get full protection from your respiratory protection, you need to know how to put on and take off your N-95 respirator. The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) and UTMB Policy require that employees follow the manufacturer instructions for putting on (donning) and taking off (doffing) your PPE. Scroll down to find instructions for donning and doffing of the N-95s that are approved for use at UTMB: 3M 1860/1860S, 3M1870+, and the 3M 1805/1805S.
PDF Instructions with Pictures: https://utmb.us/3ti
- Remove the respirator from its packaging and hold with straps facing upward. Place the bottom strap under the center flaps next to the “ATTENTION” statement.
- Fully open the top and bottom panels, bending the nosepiece around your thumb at center of the foam. Straps should separate when panels are opened. Make certain the bottom panel is unfolded and completely opened.
- Place the respirator on your face so that the foam rests on your nose and the bottom panel is securely under your chin.
- Pull the top strap over your head and position it high on the back of the head. Then, pull the bottom strap over your head and position it around your neck and below your ears.
- Adjust for a comfortable fit by pulling the top panel toward the bridge of your nose and the bottom panel under your chin. Make certain hair, facial hair, jewelry and clothing are not between your face and the respirator as they will interfere with fit.
- Place your fingertips from both hands at the top of the metal nosepiece. Using two hands, mold the nose area to the shape of your nose by pushing inward while moving your fingertips down both sides of the nosepiece. Note: Always use two hands when molding the nosepiece. Pinching the nosepiece with one hand may result in improper fit and less effective respirator performance.
- Perform a user seal check.
- Without touching the respirator facepiece, slowly lift the bottom strap from around your neck up over your head.
- Lift off the top strap. Do not touch the respirator.
- Discard according to infection control policy.