How Students Are Funded - Graduate Students

Students are funded for three terms during the school year: Fall, Spring, and Summer. Fall disbursements are initiated 10 days before classes begin.  Spring disbursements are initiated in January when the University reopens after winter break.  Summer disbursements are initiated 10 days before classes begin.  After eligibility is determined, students are funded in the following order:

  1. Nurse Faculty Loan Program (NFLP) –NFLP funding may be awarded to full-time graduate nursing students who plan a career in teaching at the college level. The cost of tuition, fees, and books and supplies may be funded, up to $30,000 per year. The interest rate is 3%, and up to 85% of the loan amount may be canceled; 20% of principal and interest as determined on the first day of employment for the first three years, and 25% of principal and interest as determined on the first day of employment for the fourth year. Eligible students are contacted to determine their interest in the program.

  2. Federal Direct Student Loan (FDSL) – The FDSL is awarded for the Fall and Spring terms up to the program maximum or student’s financial need, whichever is lower. The maximum amount a graduate student may borrow is $8,500 per year, up to a cumulative total of $65,500. Students who have previously borrowed through the Federal Stafford Loan Program will have those amounts added to the amount of FDSL borrowed at UTMB to arrive at the cumulative amount borrowed.

  3. Institutional Need-Based Grants & Scholarships – Need-based grants & scholarships are awarded to students who have received the maximum amount of funding for which they are eligible under FDSL Program. $1,000 to $2,000 awards are made on a “funds-available” basis.

Students who are considered independent for Federal financial aid purposes must provide parent data in order to be considered for Institutional funding. Providing parent data will not, and can not, be used to calculate or change your eligibility for Title IV Federal financial aid .

  1. Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG) – TPEG funding is awarded to students with the highest financial need, as long as funds are available. The amount awarded is determined by student’s cost of attendance and expected contribution.

  2. Federal Work-Study (FWS) – the FWS Program allows students to earn, rather than borrow, part of their financial need. Positions are available both on campus and in the local community. In addition, FWS earnings are not considered when calculating your Expected Family Contribution in subsequent years. To see a list of available FWS jobs, click here.

  3. Institutional Loans – Institutional Loans are awarded in accordance with the terms of each program, up to the student’s calculated financial need.

  4. Health Education Student Loan Program (HELP) – This is a state funded loan program for students pursuing degrees in the health professions. Applicants must be a permanent U. S. Resident, enrolled at least half time, and demonstrate financial need. The annual maximum is $12,500, up to a cumulative total of $$50,000.

  5. Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation Student Loan Fund – This loan program is available to students who have first applied for Federal Student Aid. Students may receive up to $2,000 per term, for all three terms each year. A maximum of $10,000 may be loaned to any one student. Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent non-resident and a full time student. A separate application must be completed and submitted to the foundation. It can be found at

  6. Non-Need Based Student Loans – These loans are used to fill any remaining financial need and/or to replace the student’s Expected Family Contribution. The maximum eligibility is the student’s Budget less any Financial Aid and other Resources, up to the program’s maximum allowable amount.

    1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan (FDUSL) – Students who are independent for financial aid purposes may borrow their Budget less Financial Aid and other Resources, up to the program maximum.

    2. Graduate PLUS Loan - The Graduate PLUS loan program is part of the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) and allows you to borrow up to the difference between your educational costs and your financial aid award package. To receive a Graduate PLUS loan, the graduate student must meet certain requirements. To be eligible for a Graduate PLUS loan, the graduate must:
      • Apply for the maximum annual amount through the Federal Stafford Loan Program
      • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
      • Not be in default on an education loan
      • Be creditworthy
      • Be accepted for enrollment at a participating school; or, if enrolled, be making satisfactory academic progress
      • Be classified as at least a half-time student and working toward a degree or certificate
      • Be registered with Selective Service, if required

    3. Alternative Loans – These lenders offer loan programs through which students may borrow up to their amount of their Budgets less Financial Aid and other Resources, up to the programs’ maximums. Co-signers are usually required.



Old Red

We are proudly located in the historic Ashbel Smith Building, affectionately known as 'Old Red'.

Second Floor, Room 2.210

Mailing address:
Office of Enrollment Services
The University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, Texas 77555-1305

Ph: (409) 772-1215
Fax: (409) 772-4466

Need help? Contact us

Click this logo for help with mySTAR
mySTAR information

Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter