The meeting was called to order at 4:30 pm by Dr. George Carayannopoulos, Faculty Senate Chair.
The minutes from June 11 were voted on and approved by email by June 25, 2018.
Chair Discussion/Comments – Dr. George Carayannopoulos
- Dr. Carayannopoulos announced that Shared Governance is going well with numerous Senators serving on institutional committees including high level operational and budget meetings. He thanked Dr. Callender for promoting Shared Governance at UTMB. Also, UTMB has consultants (Huron) currently working on the FCIP updates for 2020.
- Dr. Carayannopoulos and Dr. Hughes discussed briefly the Provost/Dean of Medicine search. For the SHP Dean search, we will have campus visits soon from several candidates and the Faculty Senate will be participating on the itineraries.
- Dr. Carayannopoulos and Dr. Hughes discussed faculty retention efforts. More details to follow in future meetings with Dr. Callender.
- Dr. Carayannopoulos went over the Faculty Exit Summary Report provided by Mr. Victor Moreno from the Provost’s office and Dr. Cary Cooper. This summary covers June 2017 to July 2018. Some questions following the report were: What schools/departments, any way to tell if there are some schools or depts. with areas of concern? How many faculty departed during this time? Looking at the results, 30% of the faculty were not satisfied and this number is too high.
- Dr. Carayannopoulos distributed a handout entitled: UTMB Faculty Senate Annually Reported Data to State of Texas and Public References. The handout provided links to UTMB’s annually reported and publically available data. He encouraged the Senate to stay current and informed.
- Dr. Carayannopoulos thanked Dr. Callender, the Senators, Dr. Hughes, Dr. Alton and Mary Schlobohm. He also asked that we work closely with Dr. Bhardwaj and he mentioned an article that Dr. Bhardwaj authored for the Senators to read when they have an opportunity.
- Dr. Dineley announced for the Research Committee that they want to promote the value of research. They would like to know who will have clinical studies, IRB, etc., UTMB or MD Anderson or both? How about MD Anderson’s networking opportunities, perhaps we should invite Melody Moore to present at a future Senate meeting. With the recent Research Day, provide input. The committee also stated that they would like to see the budget separated out, receive a Faculty Lounge update, currently a temporary one is in place at present, but hard to find and they would like to see information on Faculty Retention Cost vs the Cost of Recruiting.
- Dr. Rojas announced for the Education Committee that Dr. Ellis has rotated off the Senate and will need a replacement for her on the Education Strategic Plan and that May was their last meeting. Dr. Kelly also serves on this committee. Dr. Rojas indicated that he serves on the Faculty Affairs Diversity Council for SHP and indicated what their committee members serve on and what they are doing at present. They also discussed Interprofessional education and what is the plans for teaching and to find ways for the faculty to teach. They discussed from a previous conversation that perhaps stipends but how will that work in the four schools?
- Dr. Mrazek announced for the Clinical Committee that they also inquired about the Faculty Lounge, somewhere on the 6th floor of the Clinical Science Building is a temporary one and did not feel that it was well advertised. They would like perhaps in the near future an update from Mrs. Sollenberger on MD Anderson. The brought up the resolution from earlier in the year with the SON and SHP supporting the faculty member’s clinical efforts and this is going to be on a person-by-person basis for clinical practice.
- Dr. Pine announced for the University Committee that they also overlap with concerns on the Faculty Lounge, discussed their new Faculty Senator Badge.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:18 pm.