UTMB Faculty Senate Minutes
May 14, 2018
I. The meeting was called to order at 4:30 pm by Dr. George Carayannopoulos, Faculty Senate Chair.II. The minutes from April 9 were voted on and approved by email by April 24, 2018.
III. Chair Discussion/Comments – Dr. George Carayannopoulos
• Dr. Carayannopoulos announced that Dr. Jacobs was appointed as President of Oregon Health and Science University. He congratulated Dr. Jacobs on this achievement, as well as extended congratulations to Dr. Bhardwaj and Dr. Mouton in their interim roles starting August 1st.
• Dr. Carayannopoulos thanked the Senators that attended the Research Day event which was a successful turnout. He thanked Mary for creating the Faculty Senate flyers.
• Dr. Carayannopoulos announced that a Faculty Burnout white paper that was submitted by the UT System Faculty Advisory Council was received by the Chancellor and was later sent to all of the UT Campus Presidents for their comments and edits. A formal white paper will be released soon. He also announced that Dr. Pine had a Physician Wellness article published in the journal of the American Academy of Otolaryngology.
• Dr. Carayannopoulos announced that shared governance is going well at UTMB with several of our Senators serving on numerous committees including high level budget planning committees. He thanked Drs. Callender, Jacobs, and Niesel for their support of faculty shared governance. He also stated that the You Count survey will be sent out next week and stated that the UTMB Faculty Senate had submitted custom questions for the survey, and will review the survey to see if they made it in the survey.
• Incentives will still be paid as described in the FCIP. Dr. Carayannopoulos asked for some financial annual report details and has invited Ms. Sadro to attend our June meeting.
• Dr. Carayannopoulos announced that the two faculty lounges are on track and the one in the Clinical Sciences Wing will open soon, and before the one in John Sealy.
• Dr. Carayannopoulos announced that Senator Pine’s Faculty Senate buddy badge was approved however, no discount perks. Discussion included as to what the buddy badge should state “UTMB Senator” or “Faculty Senator” and the color of the text; more details to come.
IV. League City Campus Update – Mrs. Donna Sollenberger, EVP and Chief Executive Officer, Health Systems and Mr. Tom Riley, VP and Chief Health Strategy Officer
Mrs. Sollenberger announced that UTMB Neonatal Units receive state designation and we attained Comprehensive Stroke Center accreditation, and thanked Dr. Anish Bhardwaj and Ms. Annette Macias-Hoag for their hard work.
Mrs. Sollenberger presented a PowerPoint Presentation and here are some highlights from her presentation:
o It was three years ago that we started collaborating with MD Anderson for UTMB to have primary care specialist with MD Anderson’s outpatient cancer center.
o A Services Collaboration Committee will be formed with equal representation from both organizations for the purpose:
Oversee the implementation and continued management of collaboration agreements
Recommend, develop, authorize and/or implement collaborative opportunities
Oversees 4 (initially) subcommittees
League City Ground Lease and Facilities Subcommittee
The SCC may form or disband subcommittees or work groups, as needed
o There are several agreements in the process: Master Collaboration and Operating Agreement; Service Agreements for the Island; Appointment/Credentialing; and Service Level Agreement for UTMB and MDA Facilities Services
o Proposed Service Collaboration
Integrated Programs (Proposed)
o Work In Process
Some nursing and health professions rotations are already in progress
Many current and planned discussions addressing Graduate Medical Education
Additional opportunities will be identified as the affiliation progresses
Research collaboration, this process has yet to be established, but is recognized as a key component for future collaboration
Day One will focus on items that must happen to make the campus operational
Patient parking, transportation and wayfinding
Limited share of patient information (Care Link)
Scheduling and utilization of resources (ORs, Inpatient admissions, ED, etc.)
Year One will focus on opportunities that provide more efficient and effective solutions for our patients and providers
Data sharing through EPIC
Provider interaction (Tumor boards, research opportunities, etc.)
o Operations and Marketing
Day in the life of a patient process is currently underway
Marketing and Communications and Co-branding
V. Faculty Senator Work – Dr. George Carayannopoulos
Dr. Carayannopoulos turned it over to Dr. Lynne Hughes to discuss the Bylaws revisions.
Dr. Hughes brought up the five amendments and each one was voted on and approved. The Point of discussion, Section 3, revise wording of title to clarify “administrator” and Section 2, the composition of membership was discussed and how the number was established.
The Bylaws will be edited, as per discussion, for votes at the June meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:08 pm.