Graduate Program(PhD, MA, MD/PhD)
The Medical Humanities Graduate Program offers graduate work for students pursuing an MA or a PhD in the medical humanities. The Medical Humanities Graduate Program also coordinates plans of study leading to MD/PhD degrees (as part of UTMB's MD/PhD Combined Degree Program). Course work is also available for UTMB graduate students in other programs. PhD students in the medical humanities are expected to
- Acquire a general knowledge of the humanist tradition;
- Become acquainted with the methods and literature of the humanities as these relate to medicine;
- Develop competence in one or more humanities disciplines and apply this competence to the investigation of a particular problem;
- Transform this investigation into a dissertation that represents significant and original research; and
- Demonstrate an ability to teach and work with a variety of persons in the humanities and the health sciences and professions.