Ruben Trono, M.D.
Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Cardiology
Ruben Trono, M.D.
Clinical Associate Professor
Division of Cardiology
Department of Internal Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-1060
- General and preventive cardiology
- Invasive, non-interventional cardiology
- Non-invasive cardiology (nuclear, echocardiography, and vascular ultrasound)
- Left ventricular assist devices, mechanical circulatory support
- Coronary artery disease/prevention
- Congestive heart failure
Dr. Trono is a native of San Antonio, Texas. He joined the UTMB faculty in December 2009 after 21 years of private practice in central Ohio and 3 years of practice in College Station, Texas and surrounding counties. He began his career as a biomedical engineer at the Texas Heart Institute in Houston, TX, after graduating from Texas A&M University. He was involved in research and development of cardiac assist devices. He subsequently got his medical degree at the University of Texas in Houston, then did further training in internal medicine at the Scott and White Clinic in Temple, TX, and in cardiovascular diseases at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. His interests are in general, preventative, and non-interventional cardiology. He is community-based at Mainland Medical Center, serving Texas City, Dickinson, Santa Fe, and surrounding areas.
|B.S.||1973||Texas A&M University, College Station|
|M.S.||1975||Texas A&M University, College Station|
|M.D.||1982||University of Texas Medical School at Houston|
Scott and White Memorial Hospital and the Olin E. Teague Veteran's Administration Hospital, Temple, TX
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- Krouskop TA, Trono R, Adamski AJ: Effects of pylon shape on the performance of direct skeletal attachment systems. J Biomed Materials Res 10:345-69, l976
- Trono R, Brewer MA, Edmonds CH, Fuqua JM, Hibbs CW, Holub DA, Igo SR, Norman JC: Molecular, microscopic, microstructural, and mechanical methods of analyzing pseudoneointimal linings within partial artificial hearts in man and calf. Artificial Organs 2(2):173, l978.
- Trono R, Bossart MI, Milam JD, Norman JC: Ultrastructural analyses of blood-interfacing linings formed within partial artificial hearts of abdominal left ventricular assist devices: A qualitative scheme for pseudoneointimal accretion kinetics. Cardiovascular Diseases, Bulletin of the Texas Heart Institute 6(2): 153, l979.
- Trono R, Hollman JM, Sutton C, Suit P, Ratliff NB: Atheromatous emboli following percutaneous transluminal angioplasty of saphenous vein grafts: clinico-pathologic correlation. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine 56:6, 581-84, September l989.
- McGee MG, Zillgitt SL, Trono R, Turner SA, Davis GL, Fuqua JM, Edelman SK, Norman JC: Retrospective analyses of the need for mechanical circulatory support (intra-aortic balloon pump/abdominal left ventricular assist device or partial artificial heart) following cardio- pulmonary bypass: A 44 month study of 14,168 patients. Amer. J Cardiol 46:135, l980.
- Norman JC, Cooley DA, Igo SR, Hibbs CW, Johnson MD, Bennett JC, Fuqua JM, Trono R, Edmonds CH: Prognostic Indices for survival during post-cardiotomy intra-aortic balloon pumping:Methods of scoring and classification with implications for left ventricular device utilization. J. Thorac and Cardiovasc Surg 74(5): 709, l977.
- Cooley DA, Wukasch DC, Bennett JC, and Trono R: Double velour knitted Dacron grafts for aorto-iliac vascular replacements. In Vascular Grafts, edited by PN Sawyer and MJ Kaplitt. Appleton-Century Crofts, New York, l978, pp. l97-207.
- Norman JC, Fuqua JM, Trono R, Hibbs CW, Edmonds CH, Igo SR, Brewer MA, Holub DA, Cooley DA: An Intracorporeal (Abdominal) Left Ventricular Assist Device: Initial Clinical Trials (LX). Chapter in Assisted Circulation, F. Unger, Editor. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, l979, pp. 107-126.
- Meador JW, Trono R, Akutsu T: Echographic analysis of a pneumatically-actuated artificial heart II: Air chamber inlet design. Proc 29th Ann Conf on Engr & Med in Biol, 18:288, l976
- Trono R, Hibbs CW, Fuqua JM, Naifeh JG, Norman JC: Stress-strain characteristics and elastic moduli of ascending aortic aneurysms in patients with and without Marfan's syndrome. Proc 29th Ann Conf on Eng and Med in Biol 18:167, l976