David Ware, M.D.
Professor, Division of Cardiology
David Ware, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Division of Cardiology
Department of Internal Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, TX 77555-0553
- Cardiac arrhythmias and their treatment with medication, catheter ablation, and devices
- Sudden cardiac death and syncope
- Autonomic regulation of normal and abnormal cardiac rhythms
- Effects of microgravity on the cardiovascular system
- Mathematical modeling of the cardiovascular system
- Electrophysiologic effects of cocaine and drugs that blunt cocaine addiction
Dr. Ware has been a faculty member in the Division of Cardiology since 1990, when he arrived from Vanderbilt to establish the Electrophysiology Laboratory and Cardiac Arrhythmia Services at UTMB. His practice focuses on the diagnosis and on the medical and non-medical therapies of all cardiac arrhythmias, and on syndromes possibly due to arrhythmias, such as syncope and sudden death. He actively collaborates with biomedical engineers at Rice University, and with NASA and the Johnson Space Center in their studies of microgravity and its effects on human physiology.
|B.A.||1978||University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX|
|M.D.||1982||UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX|
University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
UT Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Ware DL, Lee JT, Murray KT, Hanyok JD, Roden DM, Echt DS. Intravenous 3-methoxy-o-desmethyl-encainide (mode) in reentrant supraventricular tachycardia: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial in patients undergoing EP study. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1991;14:1343-1350.
- Ware DL, Atkinson J, Brooks M, Echt DS. Ventricular defibrillation in canines with chronic infarction, and effects of lidocaine and procainamide. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1993;16:337-342.
- Ware DL, Boor P, Yang C, Gowda A, Motamedi M. Slow intramural heating with diffused laser light: A unique method for deep myocardial coagulation. Circulation 1999;99:1630-1636.
- Ware DL, Boor P, Yang C, Gowda A, Motamedi M. Ventricular arrhythmias following thermal damage of epicardial tissue: possible causes and clinical implications. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2000;23:1375-1380.
- Lu K, Clark JW, Ghorbel FH, Ware DL, Bidani A. A human cardiopulmonary system model applied to the analysis of the Valsalva maneuver. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281: H2661-H2679.
- Lu K, Clark JW, Ghorbel FH, Robertson CS, Ware DL, Zwischenberger JB, Bidani A. Cerebral autoregulation and gas exchange studied using a human cardiopulmonary model. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 2004;286:H584-H601.
- Birnbaum Y, Ware DL. ECG of acute ST elevation myocardial infarction: The significance of the various "scores." J Electrocardiology 2005;38:113-8.
- Rosanio S, Schwarz ER, Ahmad M, Jammula P, Vitarelli A, Uretsky BF, Birnbaum Y, Ware DL, Atar S. Benefits, unresolved questions and technical issues of cardiac resynchonization therapy for heart failure. Am J Cardiol
- Luo C, Ware DL, Zwischenberger JB, Clark JW. Using a human cardiopulmonary model to study and predict normal and diseased ventricular mechanics, septal interaction, and atrio-ventricular blood flow patterns. Cardiovasc Eng. 2007;7:17-31.
- Luo C, Ware DL, Zwischenberger JB, Clark JW Jr. A mechanical model of the human heart relating septal function to myocardial work and energy. Cardiovasc Eng. 2008 Sep;8(3):174-84.