Interventional pulmonology is an emerging field aimed at using advanced, minimally invasive techniques to diagnose and treat lung conditions including:
- Diagnosis and staging of lung nodules and other lung abnormalities detected on lung CT scans
- Minimally invasive staging of lung cancer
- Tracheal and bronchial stenosis - a condition characterized by scar tissue causing narrowing of the airway.
- Opening up airways that are blocked due to cancer using various tools including laser, electrocautery, and cryotherapy
- Diagnosing the cause and managing pleural effusions (fluid around the lung)