The UTMB Internal Medicine residency program is the ideal environment to train the highly-skilled clinical investigators of tomorrow. Research projects are plentiful on the UTMB campus among a variety of departments, from Gastroenterology to Endocrinology. Year after year, faculty demonstrate their willingness to involve residents in their clinical and bench research projects. They provide experience and guidance in the research training of Internal Medicine residents.
In order to foster research efforts, residents are able to dedicate elective rotations, free from clinical duties, towards their research. Semiannual program evaluations document the publications, posters, oral presentations, abstracts, and quality improvement projects completed by each resident, helping to boost resident productivity.
As a direct result, residents are able to present their efforts at a variety of conferences, on the international, national, or regional level. This past year, residents were able to present at conferences in Hawaii, San Francisco, Orlando, Washington D.C., and Germany. UTMB Internal Medicine is able to provide some financial assistance towards resident travel to make these trips feasible.
Below is a list of publications by some of our current residents.
- Chatila AT, Bilal M, Merwat S. Kayexalate-Induced Colonic Pseudotumor. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2018 Mar 30.
- Chavez MA, White Jr AC. Novel treatment strategies and drugs in development for cryptosporidiosis. Expert review of anti-infective therapy. 2018 Aug 3;16(8):655-61.
- Baqui AH, McCollum ED, Saha SK, Roy AK, Chowdhury NH, Harrison M, Hanif AA, Simmons N, Mahmud A, Begum N, Ahmed S, Khan AM, Ahmed ZB, Islam M, Mitra D, Quaiyum A, Chavez MA, Pervaiz F, Miele CH, Schuh HB, Khanam R, Checkley W, Moulton LH, Santosham M. Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine impact assessment in Bangladesh. Gates Open Research. 2018 Apr 26;2.
- Ellington LE, Gilman RH, Chavez MA, Pervaiz F, Marin-Concha J, Compen-Chang P, Riedel S, Rodriguez SJ, Gaydos C, Hardick J, Tielsch JM. Lung ultrasound as a diagnostic tool for radiographically-confirmed pneumonia in low resource settings. Respiratory medicine. 2017 Jul 1;128:57-64.
- Yeh O, Gonzalez ED, Gonzalez EB. An Update on the Pathology and Clinical Management of Gouty Arthritis. Journal of Clinical and Molecular Pathology (accepted), 2017.
- Hornak JP. Are we PrEPared? Awareness and Prescribing Patterns of HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis by Internal Medicine Resident Physicians at an Academic Medical Center. Open Forum Infect Dis 2018 Fall; 5(Suppl. 1): pp. TBA PMCID: TBA.
- Zhong XS, Winston J, Luo X, Kline K, Nayeem S, Cong Y, Savidge T, Dashwood R, Powell D, Li Q (2018) Neonatal Colonic Inflammation Epigenetically Aggravates Epithelial IL-1β Responses to Injury in Adult Life. Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 6(1): 65-78.
- Kline K, Gou E, Bilal M, Parupudi S (2018) A Tale of Two Tumors: A Case of Concomitant Esophageal Squamous Papilloma and Granular Cell Tumor. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer 49(2): 225-226.
- Kline K, Bilal M, Gou E, Shabot JM (2017) A Road Less Traveled: Spinal Metastasis in Gastric Adenocarcinoma. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer 48(4): 388-389.
- Marcondes FO, Gourevitch RA, Schoen RE, Crockett SD, Morris M, Mehrotra A. Adenoma Detection Rate Falls at the End of the Day in a Large Multi-site Sample. Digestive diseases and sciences. 2018 Apr 1;63(4):856-9.
- Marcondes FO, Dean KM, Schoen RE, Leffler DA, Rose S, Morris M, Mehrotra A. The impact of exclusion criteria on a physician’s adenoma detection rate. Gastrointestinal endoscopy. 2015 Oct 1;82(4):668-75.
- Scott GF, Nguyen AQ, Cherry BH, Hollrah RA, Salinas I, Williams AG Jr, Ryou MG, Mallet RT. Featured Article: Pyruvate preserves antiglycation defenses in porcine brain after cardiac arrest. Exp Biol Med 2017 242: 1095 – 1103.
- Nguyen B, Petros V, Aronson J, Sonstein L. Liver Metastatic Melanoma: A Unique Case with Normal Alkaline Phosphatase and Melanuria. J Gastrointes Canc 2018. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1007/s12029-018-0090-7.
- Venkatesan R, Willis M, Campbell B, Nguyen B, Li S. Recurrent head and neck cancer presenting as a large retroperitoneal mass: An exceedingly rare case and review of the literature. JCSO 2018;16(1):e34-e36.
- Sikanderkhel S, Almahmoud M, Choudhry W, Ibrahim H, Nguyen B, Roark R, Gilani S, Khalife W. Impact on ejection fraction and major adverse cardiovascular events in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction patients undergoing fractional flow reserve versus angiography guided revascularization. Circulation 2017;136:A20192.
- Ong KM, Blackford JA, Kagan BL, Simons SS, Chow CC. A theoretical framework for gene induction and experimental comparisons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010;107(15):7107-7112. doi:10.1073/pnas.0911095107 .
- Chow CC, Ong KM, Dougherty EJ, Simons SS. Chapter Sixteen - Inferring Mechanisms from Dose–Response Curves. In: Johnson ML, Brand L, eds. Methods in Enzymology. Vol 487. Computer Methods, Part C. Academic Press; 2011:465-483. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-381270-4.00016-0
- Chow CC, Ong KM, Kagan B, Simons SS. Theory of partial agonist activity of steroid hormones. AIMS molecular science. 2015;2(2):101-123. doi:10.3934/molsci.2015.2.101#sthash.jxRCteJz.dpuf.
- Tau JA, Bernica J, Shaikh A, Thrift AP, El-Serag H. Temporal Trends in Pre-Diagnosis Screening and Surveillance Among Patients with Newly Diagnosed CRC. A Healthcare System Quality Measure?. Gastroenterology. 2017 Apr 1;152(5):S850.
- Trieu JA, Lewis B, Bilal M, Gou E, Sonstein L, Parupudi S. Adherence to Nutrition in Acute Alcoholic Hepatitis is Low. Ann Hepatol. 2018 Aug;17(5):752-755.
- Trieu JA, Bilal M, Hmoud B. Factors Associated with Waiting Time on the Liver Transplant List: An Analysis of the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Database. Ann Gastroenterol. 2018 Jan-Feb;31(1):84-89.
- Trieu JA, Bilal M, Luthra G. Vedolizumab as a Potential Culprit in the Development of Ovarian Teratoma? Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2017 Dec 21;11(3):786-790.
- Li RT, Zahedi S, Trieu JA, Lea AS, Calhoun WJ, Duarte AG, Zhao J, Okereke IC. Post-transplant native pneumonectomy for interstitial fibrosis and small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Dis. 2017 Dec;9(12):E1096-E1099.
- Trieu JA, Bilal M, Hashmi A. Endoscopic Appearance of Multifocal Primary Gastric Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Feb;16(2):e15-e16.
- Tong MJ, Trieu JA. Hepatitis B inactive carriers: clinical course and outcomes. J Dig Dis. 2013 Jun;14(6):311-7.