Primary Care Pavilion
400 Harborside Dr.
Galveston, Texas 77555
South Shore Harbour
3023 Marina Bay Drive,
League City, Texas 77573
League City Campus
2240 Gulf Freeway South
League City, TX 77573
Brian A. Smith, MD
Dr. Smith’s areas of expertise include:
Sports Medicine Injuries
Arthroscopic Surgery of the Knee and Shoulder
Ligament and Joint Reconstruction
Cartilage Repair and Joint Arthritis
Knee and Shoulder Replacement Surgery
1981-86 B.S., University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
1987-91 M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
1991-92 General Surgery Internship, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
1992-96 Orthopaedic Residency, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Orthopaedic Research Fellowship, Musculoskeletal Center, Pittsburgh, PA
1997-98 Orthopaedic Research Fellowship, Hughston Sports Medicine Foundation
Surgical Interests/Background Emphasis
Sports Medicine, Shoulder and Knee Arthroscopy/Arthroplasty, Joint Reconstruction, Orthopaedic Trauma, General Orthopaedics
Role in Residency Program
Sports Medicine, Knee Arthroplasty, responsible for staffing clinic and surgical patients
- Kusayama, T., Harner, C.D., Carlin, G.J., Xerogeanes, J.W., Smith, B.A., "The Anatomical and Biomechanical Characteristics of the
Human Meniscofemoral Ligaments." European Journal of Knee Surgery, Sports Medicine, Traumatology, and Arthroscopy, 1994.
- Woo, S. L-Y., Johnson, G.A., Smith, B.A., "Mathematical Modeling of Ligaments and Tendons," Journal of Biomedical Engineering, 115: 468-473, 1993.
- Harner, C.D., Xerogeanes, J.W., Livesay, G.A., Carlin, G.J., Smith, B.A., Kusayama, T. Kashiwaguchi, S., Woo, S. L-Y., "The Human
Posterior Cruciate Complex: An Interdisciplinary Study of Ligament Morphology and Biomechanical Evaluation," American Journal of Sports Medicine, 23(6): 736-45, 1995.
- Woo, S. L-Y., Smith, B.A., Livesay, G.A., Blomstrom, G.L., "Mini Symposium on Knee Ligament Injuries," Current Orthopaedics, 7: 73-84, 1993.
- Smith, B.A., Livesay, G.A., Woo, S. L-Y., "Biology and Biomechanics of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament," Clinics in Sports Medicine, 12(A): 637-670, 1993.