Primary Care Pavilion
400 Harborside Dr.
Galveston, Texas 77555
League City Campus
2240 Gulf Freeway South
League City, TX 77573
David A. Yngve, MD
Professor and Chief
Pediatric Orthopaedics and Scoliosis Surgery
Dr. Yngve’s areas of expertise include:
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Fractures and Sprains
Foot, Knee and Hip Problems
Hand and Elbow Problems
1972 B.S., Antioch College
1976 M.D., Indiana University
1976-1977 Internship: St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis
1977-1981 Residency: Indiana University, Orthopaedic Surgery
1981-1982 Fellowship: Louisiana State University, Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
1984 American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Dr. Yngve is a Professor of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation and Chief of the Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics
and Scoliosis at UTMB. He earned his medical degree and completed his orthopaedic residency at Indiana University, and a
fellowship in pediatric orthopaedic surgery at Louisiana State University. He is board-certified by the American Board of
Orthopaedic Surgery, and is a member of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America.
Dr. Yngve, who came to UTMB in 1992, has been in practice for more than 20 years and says his goal is to treat his patients
in a careful, caring and understanding manner. This includes remaining up-to-date in his field, which has resulted in his
publication of more than 30 peer reviewed papers.
Dr. Yngve has a special interest in cerebral palsy, scoliosis and pediatric spine problems. He is doing a new type of minimally
invasive cerebral palsy surgery called Selective Percutaneous Myofascial Lengthening (SPML) otherwise known as percutaneous surgery,
or PERCS. He welcomes patients from 0-18 years with orthopaedic problems, including those of the back, hip, leg, ankle, foot, knee,
arm, elbow, wrist, and hand. For more information on SPML, please see this SPML FAQ.
For information on hip issues in children with cerebral palsy, please see this CP HIP FAQ.
Role in Residency Program
Chief Pediatric Orthopaedic Service
Director of Medical Student Education
Dr. Yngve trains orthopaedic residents as they rotate on his service, in the clinics, on the inpatient floors, and in the operating room.
Abstracts and Presentations
- Kriel H, Richburg K, Yngve D: "Multimodal Pain Control Following Scoliosis Surgery," Podium presentation.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. March 14-18, 2017, San Diego, CA.
- Yngve DA, Wilson WK. "Reoperation Rates after Minimally Invasive Muscle-Tendon Lengthening for Cerebral Palsy," Western Orthopaedic
Association 78th Annual Meeting, July 30 - Aug. 2, 2014, Big Island, HI.
- Patton AG, Gray AM, De La Cruz M, Nuzzo RM, Yngve DA. "Pain Reduction In Non-Verbal Children With Cerebral Palsy Following
Minimally Invasive Surgery And Ethanol Injections," Western Orthopaedic Association 78th Annual Meeting, July 30 - Aug. 2, 2014, Big Island, HI.
- Yngve DA, Turnbow B, Rodriquez, A. Symposium podium presentation: "Complications Associated with Minimally Invasive
Surgery for Children with Cerebral Palsy," Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America 2012 Annual Meeting, May 16, 2012, Denver, Colorado.
- Yngve DA, Taylor B. e-Poster presentation: "Measured Spasticity and Function do not Correlate in Children with
Cerebral Palsy," Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America 2012 Annual Meeting, May 16-19, 2012, Denver, Colorado.
- Yngve DA, Lu A, Dasgupta R, Masel B, Navejas E, Mckissack M, Elkon D. e-Poster presentation: "Post Operative Emergence
Agitation Following Surgery in Children with Cerebral Palsy," Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America 2012 Annual Meeting, May 16-19, 2012, Denver, Colorado.
- Yngve DA, Wild D, Shani RH, Carmichael KD, Baker CP "Outcomes of Minimally Invasive Multilevel
Surgery for Children with Cerebral Palsy," AAOS Annual Meeting, Fan Francisco, CA, 2011.
- Yngve DA, Chambers C, "Vulpius and Z Lengthening," Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 16:759-764, 1996.
- Yngve DA, "Abdominal Reflexes," Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics,17:105-108, 1997.
- Herndon WA, Sullivan JA, Gruel CR, Yngve DA, "A comparison of Wisconsin instrumentation and Cotrel-Dubousset instrumentation," Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 13:615-621, 1993.
- Yngve DA, Gross RH, "Late diagnosis of hip dislocation in infants," Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 10:777-779, 1990.
- Yngve DA, "Foot-progression angle in clubfoot," Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 10:467-472, 1990.