Osler Student Societies Travel Request Guidelines and Form
John P. McGovern Academy of Oslerian Medicine



Before you apply for travel funds, please read and be informed that:

Before completing this form, you must read and agree to adhere to the spending guidelines found on the John P. McGovern Academy of Oslerian Medicine, Fiscal Policies/Travel Info tab. To be considered, students are expected to have all academic deficiencies resolved and cannot be on academic warning as designated by the Office of Student Affairs. 

  • Students must be in good academic standing to be considered.
  • Students serving on the Travel Award Selection Committee must recuse themselves if submitting a request on their own behalf.
  • Retrospective reimbursements are not allowed.
  • Travel awards cannot be used for residency interviews.
  • The minimum travel award is $250.00.
  • All travel must be completed no later than July 1st and all receipts submitted on or before July 15th.
  • Students must present authorization to the Academy office of their absence from their supervising faculty (e.g., facilitator, clinical attending, or preceptor) and notify their course/clerkship director before travel arrangements can be made. Have this document ready before you begin to fill out your request.
  • International travel requests must be submitted six (6) weeks and domestic travel requests must be submitted thirty (30) days prior to travel departure.
  • Foreign receipts must be translated at the time of submission.
  • For all international travel (including Mexico, Canada, and Puerto Rico) requests will be processed through the Provost Office following the International Travel Request Process. 
  • Receipts must be itemized and legible. Foreign receipts must be translated at the time of submission. 
  • All receipts must be submitted within fourteen (14) days of purchase or upon completion of travel. Proof of payment must include your name and the last 4-digits of your credit card or a copy of your bank statement. Documents must be submitted to mcacadem@utmb.edu.
  • If a student is also considered a UTMB employee (i.e. in a work-study program or a tutor), they should provide the name of their home department and the person in that department who will process the Travel Authorization and/or Employee Expense Report and subsequently, the reimbursement on their behalf.
  • Travel reimbursements include airfare, lodging, (non-commercial lodging is not allowed, e.g. Airbnb or VRBO), mileage (origination and destination addresses must be submitted for mileage calculation), registration, public transportation, parking, meals. If traveling within the state of Texas, be sure to obtain a Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exempt Certificate and Verification Letter to defer paying state sales tax.
  • Award points used toward any travel-related expenditures cannot be reimbursed. 
  • It is considered best practice to direct bill airfare. Contact the Academy office ((409) 747-9680 or mcacadem@utmb.edu) for details. All other travel expenses must be paid for upfront then receipts submitted for reimbursement purposes. Reimbursements cannot be processed until the completion of travel.
  • Texas state sales taxes cannot be reimbursed. Contact the Academy office ((409) 747-9680 or mcacadem@utmb.edu) to obtain information on how to possibly avoid paying tax on your in-state travel expenses.
  • Review the institutional travel guidelines: UTMB Accounts Payable: Travel Information and the AE Service Center Travel Policies.
Osler Student Societies Travel Request Form - apply for travel funds here