Gentle Ventilation of the Preterm Infant
This is a broad-spanning project that involves the generation of a database of all infants less than1500 grams born at UTMB. The database will allow quality assurance assessments and retrospective clinical investigations in addition to enhancing prospective clinical investigations.
Projects we have done include comparing neonatal outcomes during a two year period before and after the initiation of continuous positive pressure ventilation as the main means of ventilation of premature infants, and examining the impact of administering Vitamin A to neonates under 1000grams. Current research involves examination of interventions for ventilated neonates with frequent desaturations.
- Early Management Changes, Including Surfactant and Nasal Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Treatment at Delivery, Lowered Oxygen Saturation Goals, and Early Amino Acids Administration: An Historical Cohort Study. Pediatrics 2008; 121: 89-96.
- Geary C, Rafael Fonseca, Melinda Caskey, Michael Malloy. Improved Growth and Decreased Morbidities in <1000 g Neonates After Early Management Changes. J. Perinatology 28:347-353, 2008.
- Geary,C.and Whitsett J.:Inhaled nitric oxide foroligohydramnios-induced pulmonary hypoplasia: A report of two cases and review of the literature. J. Perinatol.22:82-85,2002.
- Geary CA, Akinbi H,Korfhagen T., Boucher RC, Koller B, Jobe A, Rice W.Increased susceptibility to Pseudomonas Aeruginosa in Double Purinergic Receptor (P2Y1 and P2Y2) Knockout Mice. AmJ Physiol LungCell Mol Physiol. 2005 Nov; 289 (5):L890-5.
- Geary,Cara.Ventilator Management inThe Saint-Francis Guide to Pediatrics. Lippincott,Williams &Wilkins. Editors Migita DS and Christakis DA.Philadelphia,©2003.
- Geary,Cara. Hyaline Membrane Disease inThe Saint-Francis Guide to Pediatrics. Lippincott,Williams&Wilkins. Editors Migita DS and Christakis DA. Philadelphia,©2003.
- Geary,Cara A, and Jeffrey A. Whitsett. Amniotic FluidMarkers of Fetal LungMaturityinIntensive Care of theFetus and Neonate.Elsevier Mosby.Editor:A.R.Spitzer. Philadelphia. ©2005 pp.122-133.