DIET AND EXERCISE RECOMMENDATIONS
In overweight and obese patients, given a high triglyceride level (>150 mg/dL) or low HDL level (< 35-50 mg/dL), weight management is the primary treatment. This involves dietary modification, with the help of a nutritionist, and increasing physical activity.
High risk patients:
- children and adolescents with a family history of CVD
- personal history of high total cholesterol or LDL concentrations
- personal history diabetes
- personal history obesity
- personal history of cigarette smoking
- personal history of hypertension
from American Heart Association Diet and Exercise Recommendations (Daniels, 2008)
Diet should restrict saturated fat to 7% of total calories and dietary cholesterol to 200 mg/day.
These have been implemented for children as young as 7 months of age without interference in growth, development, or sexual maturation.