Here to support the use of animals in research when conducted in a responsible, humane manner for medical and scientific research.
Our Regulatory Mandate
The IACUC is an Institutional Committee comprising a chairman, doctors of veterinary medicine trained in laboratory animal science and medicine, practicing scientists, nonscientist and an individual not affiliated with the institution. Its responsibilities
- Review all proposed activities related to the care and use of animals;
- Review all proposed significant changes regarding the care and use of animals in ongoing activities;
- Review, at least once every six months, the facility’s program for humane care and use of animals;
- Inspect, at least once every six months, all of the research animal facilities including animal study areas;
- Prepare reports of its evaluations conducted;
- Make recommendations to the Institutional Official regarding any aspect of the research facility’s animal care program, facilities, or personnel training;
- Review, and, if warranted, investigate concerns involving the care and use of animals at the research facility;
- Authorization to suspend an activity involving animals.