Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
Admissions & Application Process
- BSCLS 2+2 applicants: July 1st*
- MLT-to-CLS applicants (for spring semester): November 1st*
- MLT-to-CLS applicants (for fall semester): July 1st
*All official documents must be received by AHCAS no later than July 1 to be considered for Fall entry.
Download: Admissions Self Appraisal Checklist (.docx)
- Have 60 semester credit hours of prerequisite course work (or be in the process of completing the prerequisite requirements). Application procedures may be initiated upon completion of 30 semester hours of college work.
- Present a minimum overall 2.0 GPA and a 2.0 GPA in science courses on a 4.0 scale.
- Submit three letters of recommendation
- International applicants will be considered. Applicants from non-English speaking countries must submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score.
Applicants holding baccalaureate degrees in other fields may enroll in the Clinical Laboratory Sciences curriculum and work toward a second baccalaureate degree, provided the prerequisites have been completed prior to matriculation.
With departmental approval, non-degree-seeking students may be enrolled in Clinical Laboratory Sciences courses. Non-degree-seeking students who desire degree-seeking status must be competitive with other applicants. In addition to successfully fulfilling all other criteria in the application process, these students must have earned a minimum of "C" in all Clinical Laboratory Sciences courses in which they have been enrolled.
To enter the CLS Program at UTMB, a student must complete a minimum of 60 semester credit hours of preparatory coursework. After the completion of approximately two years of clinical education at UTMB, in addition to the 60 hours of prerequisites, the student graduates with a Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
Interested individuals may request an exploratory meeting with the CLS admissions coordinator by emailing unofficial transcripts with your Name, Address and Phone number and the name of the program to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org.