Type: Social, Professional
Membership: By School - GSBS
Mission Statement: Women’s Association of Minority Scientist is an organization dedicated to promoting minority/under-represented student support, community leadership, science communication, academic professionalism, and mentorship to students enrolled in doctoral or masters STEM research programs at the University of Texas Medical Branch.
Pillars of Success:
- Scholarship: Promotion of external academic research scholarships and fellowships that emphasize increasing participation by historically underrepresented groups.
- Fellowship: Development of life-long friendships with others in similar career paths that will promote positive mental health growth as one advances in the STEM field.
- Networking: Forming a network with others from a similar cultural background on and off-campus that will promote professional growth in the STEM field.
- Mentorship: Through communication, students and staff can express themselves in a safe non-judgmental environment concerning issues affecting under-represented groups in the STEM field. Advanced students and faculty will be a resource for first-year students to navigate their way through a successful year and beyond.
- Career Development: The organization will host events inviting scientists to come to speak and share their experiences as minority women in research.
- Community Involvement: The organization will maintain community involvement with elementary, middle school, and high school science programs by hosting activities promoting STEM.
Activities: This organization will host activities such as career- development seminars, socials to promote networking & fellowship amongst Scientist, and outreach projects within the community.