The Hector P. Garcia Committee solicits applications from UTMB students for the Hector P. Garcia, M.D. Cultural Competence Essay Contest.
All entrants must:
- be in good academic standing
- have demonstrated commitment to personal and professional development of cultural competency skills
- have demonstrated leadership and service in cross-cultural activities
- be enrolled as a full-time UTMB student
- submit a written essay (1,500 words or less)
Essay Deadline - Monday, September 16, 2019 by 5:00 pm.
Register by going to http://tinyurl.com/lrtwa47.
Once registered, students must submit the following materials to be considered for the Hector P. Garcia, M.D. Cultural Competence Award:
- A cover letter declaring the student's interest in being considered for the award and providing information on the student's leadership and service on cross-cultural activities.
- An essay expressing the student's understanding of cultural competence as it relates to his or her ability to work with, conduct research with or treat people from diverse cultures. Students may write about their own personal experiences and the ways
in which their understanding, attitudes and skills relative to cross-cultural issues have evolved. Essays should be typed double-spaced with 1.5" margins and should be 1,500 words or less.
- Applicants should not include their names on their essays, only on the cover letter. Essay
submissions will be evaluated in a "blind review" process.
Submit your cover letter and essay to email@example.com.
The winner of the essay contest is presented with the award, as well as a $1,000 monetary award, at the annual luncheon. Invited guests usually include members of Dr. Garcia's family as well as a dynamic keynote speaker.
Essays will be judged by members of the Hector P. Garcia Essay Review Committee. The reviewers will evaluate the writer's personal understanding of cultural competency and how he or she applies it in the delivery of quality health care.
Sponsored by the Office of the President
Managed by the Hispanic Center of Excellence and School of Medicine Special Projects
For further information go to: https://www.utmb.edu/studentservices/hector-p-garcia-award
RSVP to Office of University Events at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 409-747-6735.
For more information about the Hector P. Garcia Cultural Competence Award, contact Ms. Berengaria Navarre at (409) 772-2780 or email@example.com
For additional information, including past essay winners, photos, and videos, please visit the Hector P. Garcia Event Photos and Video page