Welcome to the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) Division of Urology website. This website is primarily intended for clinicians, prospective trainees, patients, and their loved ones to discover how we are improving people’s lives through academic, clinical, and research excellence. We have a long-standing history of providing the highest quality and state-of-the-art care, and we hope this shines through on these web pages.
We have clinical expertise in all aspects of urology. Our faculty are thought leaders in the field, and hold various international leadership positions in a variety of organizations, including the American Urological Association and Societe Internationale d'Urologie, just to name a few. Our research efforts span the gamut of disciplines which are centered on patient outcomes to improve health care delivery. We offer various novel therapies in clinical trials, undertaking meaningful translational research, and focusing on improving surgical outcomes and quality of care through health services research. Our faculty have published their work in a variety of publications, including JAMA, European Urology, and Journal of Urology. Our faculty hold editorial positions at leading journals and routinely shape the literature through these efforts. Our faculty have peer-reviewed federal support and funding from the NIH and Department of Defense.
We are dedicated to training the next generation of urologic clinicians at UTMB. Whether you are a medical student, resident, fellow, practicing urologist, or advanced practice provider, we want to help you to deliver high value urologic care by providing the best educational experiences. Ours was the first state medical school in Texas when it opened in 1891 and, combined with our residency program, has a rich history of training leaders in medicine including various chairpersons and leaders throughout the country. We also hold various educational conferences throughout the academic year which also bring international thought leaders in the field to further enhance the fertile educational environment at UTMB. Most importantly, we do this in a culture which is personable, diverse, and above all, a fun and welcoming environment we like to call ‘home away from home’. I believe it is this combination of collaborative commitment with mutual respect for all people that translates into superb care for our patients.
I invite you to explore this website and learn more about our academic, clinical, and research programs. I hope that, after perusing this website, you will agree with me that UTMB Urology is a very special place.
Stephen B. Williams, MD, MS, FACS
Chief and Professor (Tenured), Division of Urology
Robert Earl Cone Professorship
The Division of Urology at
University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB Health) has set the standard
for excellence in urologic care, providing advanced care and performing
thousands of life-changing procedures and surgeries each year, while
developing ground-breaking scientific research. Our urologists deliver
comprehensive and personalized attention to men and women with a range
of genitourinary problems: from prostate cancer to underlying urinary
disorders including incontinence and stone disease.
We work in partnership with UTMB Health specialists, referring physicians, patients and their caregivers to diagnose and treat the most challenging urologic conditions. In addition to their advanced training and research in specialty areas, our urologic surgeons are highly skilled in new technologies such as robotic-assisted surgery, minimally invasive approaches that reduce side-effects and maximize outcomes.
UTMB Urology is leading national and international commitments to improve care we provide to patients. Dr. Stephen B. Williams is the current Chair for the Society International Urology (SIU) Expedited Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Programme in collaboration with the ERAS Society to promote worldwide implementation and dissemination of ERAS. Below is a link to our educational web portal.
SIU-ERAS® Program for SIU Academy
Why UTMB for Urologic Surgery?
- Surgeons who treat specific urologic conditions and have years of scientific research complementing advanced surgical training.
- Multidisciplinary, patient-centered approach combining the
expertise of our urologic surgeons with specialists including but not
limited to medical oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, pathology,
anesthesiology, general surgery and nephrology.
- We train the next generation of urologists through the UTMB Health Urology Residency Program.
- One of the first robotic surgery programs in South Texas, providing
state-of-the art surgical technology resulting in less pain, shorter
hospital stays, and faster recovery.
- Full-time board-certified urologists actively involved in patient outcome studies.
- Surgery and patient care in a safe hospital environment with emergency and backup services immediately available.
- Patient coordinators provide seamless appointment access and patient information.
Services We Offer:
- Female Urology - providing full services to women with urinary tract disorders including incontinence and pelvic prolapse surgery
- Genitourinary Reconstruction - diagnosis and treatment of lower urinary tract disorders as well as genitourinary prosthetic surgery
- Kidney Stones - prevention, diagnosis and treatment including minimally invasive treatment options
- Men’s Health - diagnosis and treatment of
conditions specific to men such as male urinary dysfunction, erectile
dysfunction, benign prostate hyperplasia, urinary incontinence,
vasectomy, male infertility
- Pediatric Urology - routine to complex pediatric urologic conditions including circumcision, stones, hypospadias and intersex conditions
- Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery - minimally invasive treatment of urologic conditions using laparoscopy and robot-assisted technology
- Urologic Oncology - prevention, screening, diagnosis and treatment of urologic cancers
Click here to download the Radical Cystectomy Survival Calculator© (RCSC) app for iPhone and iPad.
Our patient coordinators are ready for your call. They will assist
new patients with setting up initial appointments, and will help
existing patients manage their care.
New patients only: (409) 772-2222 or toll free (800) 917-8906
Patient referral: (800) FACULTY (322-8589)
Main number for questions and returning patients: (409) 772-2091
For clinic locations and further details about our services, please visit our UTMB Health Patient Website.
Follow us on Twitter