Planning a trip to the beach?
Dr. Monica Thint offers these five tips to ensure you have a safe, fun time.
- Always swim where there is a lifeguard.
- Have a designated water watcher
- All boaters and individuals who are not strong swimmers should use a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket
- Save your neck - don't dive into water you can't see through and also be mindful of where you're stepping.
- If you get caught in a rip current, don't panic; instead, swim toward the shoreline. If you can't swim, float or tread water and wave your hands to nearby beachgoers and boaters to draw attention to yourself that you may need help.
For more information on children's health and wellness measures--including care options -- visit the UTMB Health Pediatrics page.
Dr. Monica Thint on beach safety