We are still pushing for a “go live” for Sitefinity in mid-September. Last week, some pretty serious optimization and performance testing was done, with great results. Those who were in the last live demo saw how the tool could bog down. We pledged to launch a product that was running as efficiently and smoothly as possible, one that we will (and would want to) use ourselves. It took stripping the system down to bare components, some updates, and meticulous rebuilding, but the outcome was worth the effort. It’s running great.
We have another big test being done now: the new “interim” responsive home pages are being tested in a safe area of our production environment. The pages are designed to let us move ahead with the Sitefinity rollout, they get us back on kind terms with Google and mobile search, and buy us time to solicit feedback from users and stakeholders on what the home pages should become. (These new pages are essentially the same content in same places we had before, just responsive and in the new CMS. Preview at http://intranetstage.utmb.edu/iutmb and http://wwwstage.utmb.edu/?i=welcome)
In other big news, we changed the framework for the responsive design functionality in our templates from Foundation to Bootstrap (this was driven by the last very excellent update to Bootstrap and Microsoft’s recent announcement that they will support the latter). The change was a bit of work but it started showing a payoff immediately: Bootstrap is working a lot better in Sitefinity. The info we have online about our responsive freamework will need to be updated, but the basic tenets and philosophy behind the responsive design are still the same with both frameworks. We think this change will be well received by most developers.
There is a draft circulating of the form that will allow people to: 1) request a new site (or get access to an existing site) and 2) populate the institutional site inventory, serving as the “registration” we’re requiring for all sites in the future.
The new process seeks very explicit information about sites roles (who owns a site, who manages it). It’s also pretty clean and simple. The data and process will build on the work we did with the inventory tool at http://sandbox.utmb.edu/web/sites/.