The Mission of the Department of Healthcare Epidemiology is to establish and maintain a proactive program of surveillance, prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections and occupational exposures to infectious diseases. We utilize policy/procedure, education, communication and epidemiological techniques to promote good outcomes.
Epidemiology is the study of various factors influencing the occurrence, distribution, prevention, and control of disease and injury in the human population.
Ebola Virus Disease:
Go to Healthcare Epidemiology Policies - Scroll to Policy 4.01 – Infection Control for the Care of Patients with Diagnosed or Suspected Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
For general information ane more, please visit UTMB's Ebola Response Website
Staff should screen all patients for Ebola at all access points according to Epic protocol, which will launch when a patient chart is opened. If you are not on Epic, screen according to the same guidelines. If the patient indicates they could have Ebola:
Isolate the patient
- Place patient in private room and initiate Standard, Contact and Droplet precautions.
- Please refer to the policy for details for your patient care setting.
- Immediately page Healthcare Epidemiology at 409-643-3133. The Infection Preventionist on call will notify the Healthcare Epidemiologist, the Galveston County Health Department, and the Administrator on Call.
- The Department phone number is 409-772-3192.
Additional information can be found at www.utmb.edu/ebola-response
Healthcare Epidemiology Policies & Procedures are extensive and address topics such as:
- Hand Hygiene
- Respiratory Hygiene
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Needlestick and Sharps Injury Prevention
- Cleaning and Disinfection
- Waste Disposal