As defined by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to accredited residency programs at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Texas.
- Graduates of Medical Schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of Colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools inside and outside the United States, in addition to Canada, who meet the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and
- Have an ECFMG sponsored J-1 visa www.ecfmg.org
Programs select from among eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. All UTMB residencies/fellowships utilize a written application along with an interview process. Programs do not discriminate with regard to sex, age, race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Where available, programs participate in an organization matching process such as the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).