When spending time outdoors, it's important to be mindful of the bugs around you. To keep you and your family safe and free from bug bites, follow these tips from pediatric nurse practitioner Taylor Little.
- Always wear bug spray containing DEET
- When applying to a small child, always spray into hands first then apply to the child
- If wearing sunscreen, too, first apply sunscreen, then the bug spray.
- Avoid times like dawn and dusk, as that's when bugs are most active
- Wear long sleeves and pants when possible.
- Check yourself and your children when you come inside to make sure nothing came in with you
- If possible, take a shower upon coming in from the outdoors
- In areas that area heavily wooded or overgrown, stay on trails and paths
For more information on health and wellness measures--including care options -- visit the UTMB Health Pediatric Primary Care page.
Taylor Little on outdoor bug safety