I am pleased to announce the establishment of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch. An application and site visit for an Emergency Medicine Residency Program has already taken
place and we expect notification of approval of the proposed program in the fall of 2022. We are very optimistic that our application will be approved and pending a positive outcome, recruitment of medical students for our inaugural residency program
will occur from September 2022 through February 2023.
Please spread the word about our upcoming EM program to fourth-year medical students that are planning to apply to Emergency Medicine residencies that we will welcome applications from UTMB and other fourth-year students.
UTMB Emergency Medicine offers some extraordinary opportunities not found elsewhere:
- Collaborate with UTMB Aerospace program in conjunction with NASA and SpaceX
- Opportunities with the Polar Medicine Group and their work in the South Pole
- Experience medical disaster training with Texas A&M (Galveston) and their medical response ship
- Train with outstanding faculty at one of the top academic medical centers in the country (Vizient top 10 in 3 out of last 5 years) with both a level 1 Trauma Center and Burn Center
- Utilize top-notch simulation center with 77 rooms (largest west of the Mississippi)
- Learn ultrasound from one of the pioneers in bedside ultrasound/POCUS
We are excited about the academic and research opportunities our newly-formed department and upcoming residency will have for UTMB students in Galveston and look forward to a dynamic, successful year!
Dietrich Jehle, MD, FACEP, RDMS
Program Director, Professor & Chair
Department of Emergency Medicine, UTMB