The Joint Commission launched its Speak Up™ patient safety program is designed
to help patients and their advocates become active in their care. Over time, the program has expanded to more than 70 countries and features infographics, animated videos, brochures and posters. The program urges patients to:
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
- Pay attention to the care you get.
- Educate yourself about your illness.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate (advisor or supporter).
- Know what medicines you take and why you take them.
- Use a health care organization that has been carefully checked out.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment.