Happy New Year, and welcome to the latest issue of Impact! The beginning of a new year gives us a chance to reflect on the accomplishments of the previous months and look forward to the many opportunities ahead.
For UTMB, our opportunities and vision for the future are encapsulated in The Road Ahead, which has been updated for 2016–2018 and includes our institution’s goals and strategies for the coming years. The document, available from the Office of Strategic Management and online at www.utmb.edu/strategic_vision, ensures we are doing everything we can to achieve our shared mission of improving health for the people of Texas and around the world.
You can learn more about The Road Ahead inside this issue, along with stories about our people. Among them:
- A day in the life of Food and Nutrition Services employees Katrina Lightbourn and Rebecca Carson
- How quick work by employees in Labor and Delivery helped one of their own
- School of Health Professions students go above and beyond for one of their patients
- A profile of my chief of staff, Sheila Lidstone
- Rape Aggression Defense classes, taught by our UTMB police officers, help empower employees
- Health tips to follow in the new year by Gerald Cleveland, director of Health Promotion and Wellness
- Numerous accomplishments and kudos in the Working Wonders column and throughout the newsletter
Enjoy the articles, and tell us what you think. I’m looking forward to working with you all in the coming year to improve health and improve lives. Thank you!
Dr. David L. Callender