Happy New (Fiscal) Year! The past year has been one of tremendous
growth, significant research breakthroughs and excellence in educating the
future generation of health care professionals.
I’m confident that FY17 will be exceptional in its own right as we work
together to improve health in Texas, around the nation and across the
globe. In fact, the recently announced Best Care initiative is positioning
UTMB to achieve a quantum leap in quality to emerge as a Top 20 provider
among our academic medical center peers by 2018.
Best Care means that UTMB always delivers the right care at the right time and in the right way
for the right person while achieving the best possible results for every patient, every time. It is a
significant initiative that goes well beyond the clinical enterprise. In fact, every UTMB employee—from faculty member to maintenance supervisor to print shop technician—impacts the patient
experience at our institution.
You can learn more about how you influence Best Care in this latest issue of Impact, along with
stories about our people. Among them:
- A day in the life of Otis Johnson, manager of UTMB’s print shop where he oversees
operations that provide comprehensive graphic design and custom printing across the
- A profile of Carrie King, senior vice president and general counsel
- What school nurses need to know about the rise in the digital forms of dating violence
- A closer look at the UT System Learning Zone, a new professional development tool that
offers unlimited access to books, training courses and videos to UTMB employees
- A School of Health Professions graduate who has overcome hardships to pursue a career in
- Tips for staying comfortable at work by Lela Lockett-Ware, certified ergonomics
assessment specialist and institutional Americans with Disabilities Act officer Numerous accomplishments and kudos in the Working Wonders column and throughout
Please take some time to enjoy this issue. If you have story suggestions for future editions, please
let the Impact team know. Thank you!
Dr. David L. Callender