Welcome to the latest issue of Impact! This edition highlights several people and initiatives that make UTMB a vibrant institution focused on defining the future of health care in Texas and around the world.
It’s an exciting time to be a member of the UTMB family. Next month, we’ll break ground on the new Health Education Center on our Galveston Campus, a state-of-the-art facility that will be one of the leading venues for health education in Texas. The HEC will enable us to expand our infrastructure to meet the needs of a student body that has grown by 40 percent over the past decade. The HEC will also allow us to continue our legacy of educating health care professionals to serve our state and nation.
The HEC is just one of several construction projects planned or underway on our campuses. You can read more about these activities in this edition of Impact. Among the many additional stories you’ll find in this issue:
- A Day in the Life of Lauren Sheer, assistant vice president of Legislative Affairs in our Austin office
- A profile of David Marshall, chief nursing and patient services officer
- A closer look at Best Care in Action as UTMB’s ambulatory clinics tackle hypertension
- A UTMB anesthesiologist develops a smart system to monitor patient oxygen levels and improve lung function
- Help is just a phone call away at the Southeast Texas Poison Center at UTMB, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- A guide to determining when you should head to an emergency room instead of an urgent care clinic
- Numerous accomplishments and kudos in the Working Wonders column and throughout the newsletter
If you have a suggestion for articles you’d like to see in future issues of this publication, please reach out to the Impact team to let them know.
As always, I hope you’ll take some time to enjoy this issue as we share these stories that exemplify who we are and where we’re headed as an institution. Thank you for everything you do each and every day in service to our communities and UTMB’s mission.
Dr. David L. Callender