Information Services in process of replacing iSpace with SharePoint Online and OneDrive
In an effort to modernize its content management and business processes across the institution, UTMB is replacing iSpace with two applications that are a part of Microsoft’s Office 365 Suite.
In March, Information Services began migrating all data currently in iSpace to SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business, a move that will enable UTMB employees and students to confidently share content inside and outside the organization while ensuring we’re able to collaborate securely.
The migration is expected to be completed by Aug. 31.
iSpace, and its companion software Xythos Drive, has experienced numerous issues in recent years, including operating system concerns and browser compatibility. In addition, configuring iSpace permissions for users has been a constant source of frustration for many UTMB employees.
The transition to SharePoint Online and OneDrive addresses these concerns and will provide a number of additional features, including:
• A truly collaborative experience working together on documents (no more being locked out of a file)
• Connecting teams in the Office 365 environment, including the ability to easily share, reference and collaborate on content
• Ability to control revisions and restore older versions of documents with version history
• Ability to manage content editors with permissions
• Expanded storage capacity: OneDrive has 100 times more capacity for your work files than iSpace (SharePoint is used to manage and share departmental—or organizational—files and documents while OneDrive is a space for individual employees to store their work documents)
• Ability to access files from anywhere at any time with SharePoint and OneDrive mobile applications
“Once fully deployed, this transition will significantly improve users’ experience in collaborating with colleagues,” said Jeff Dubrow, Information Services manager and project manager. “Microsoft’s SharePoint and OneDrive for Business tools are complementary solutions that work together to provide the end-user a world-class collaboration and content management experience.”
The move from iSpace to the new Microsoft tools affects everyone at UTMB, as all data and files in iSpace will be migrated to SharePoint and OneDrive. A future project, not yet scheduled, will migrate all content from S: and H: drives into SharePoint and OneDrive.
For those not yet transitioned from iSpace, Information Services will notify you prior to migrating your files. In addition, training and support will be available online.
For more information, visit https://www.utmb.edu/o365/SharePoint/. You can also reach out via email at email@example.com.