These are exciting times to be a part of the UTMB family.
Later this month, we’ll unveil Jennie Sealy Hospital with an employee open house, a formal dedication ceremony and community open house. On April 9, years of hard work will culminate with the arrival of our first patient in the new, state-of-the-art hospital. In June, we’ll open the much-anticipated League City Hospital as well to serve the fast-growing populace of northern Galveston County.
I’d like to personally thank all of the dedicated employees who have helped bring these hospitals to completion. These facilities mark the beginning of a new era in our 125-year-and-counting mission to advance the health sciences, and we are counting the days until we can begin providing exemplary care within their walls.
You can learn more about the Jennie Sealy Hospital events inside this issue, along with stories about our people. Among them:
- A day in the life of Distribution Services, with Eddie Long, senior materials handling tech
- Our Health System’s NICHE “Senior Friendly” status
- A profile of Philesha Evans in HR Corporate Administration
- Our Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences’ new grant to launch an MD/PhD program in clinical and behavioral sciences
- An update on our internal communications plans as we approach the one-year anniversary of our first Weekly Relay
- Heart health tips by Dr. Sendil Hari Prasad
- Numerous accomplishments and kudos in the Working Wonders column and throughout the newsletter
Enjoy the articles; tell us what you think. And take time to feel well-deserved pride in what you and your colleagues make possible at UTMB. Thank you!
Dr. David L. Callender