Welcome to the latest issue of Impact.
At the start of this new decade, let’s reflect on all that we've accomplished together over the past several years and look forward to an exciting period of growth and commitment as we continue UTMB's strong mission work in patient care, research and education.
This year also ushers in some new features for your employee newsletter. Starting with this issue, the Impact team is unveiling By the Numbers (Page 5), which takes a closer look at various UTMB statistics; the Five Qs, a question-and-answer feature highlighting members of our UTMB family (Page 13); and People of UTMB, a Humans of New York-style photo and article that features UTMB employees from across the organization (Page 15).
• A Day in the Life of Debra Wilson, a materials handling technician on UTMB’s Galveston Campus
• UTMB researchers’ discovery of how Ebola disables the body’s immune defenses
• Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences’ 50th anniversary celebration
• The hidden talent of Aisen Chacin who works in UTMB’s innovative MakerSpace location
• Tips for eye health throughout the winter months and much more.
As always, please continue sending your story ideas, nominees for the Hidden Talents column and trivia answers to the Impact team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Ben G. Raimer
UTMB President ad interim