Free UTMB program adds evening schedule on mainland, new topic
For immediate release: April 23, 2007
GALVESTON, Texas - The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is expanding its diabetes self-management program with an evening session at the Mall of the Mainland in Texas City. The program, called Take Action, focuses on diabetes self-care behaviors.
The Take Action program focuses on seven self-care behaviors to manage diabetes. A new topic, Diabetes and Disaster Planning, has been added to the schedule, which starts in May at most locations.
Darlene Cass, a community education specialist with UTMB's Community Health Services, said planning for disasters is important for diabetics. "We learned from the evacuations during hurricanes Rita and Katrina that many people were not prepared to manage their diabetes."
In addition to information about steps diabetics can take to prepare for hurricanes and other disasters, Marilyn Simmons, family and consumer science agent with the Texas Cooperative Extension, will present general information about disaster planning.
Diabetes and Disaster Planning will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 9, at the Island Community Center, 4700 Broadway Blvd., in Galveston, and from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 16, at the Mall of the Mainland, 10000 Emmett F. Lowry Expy., in Texas City.
Take Action consists of six meetings, with a different topic discussed at each meeting. There is no fee and the sessions are open to the public. Here are the topics in the order they will be presented:
What is Diabetes, Behavior Change and Action Plans
High and Low Blood Sugar and Complications
Coping with Diabetes and Stress
Exercise and Medication
Diabetes and Alcohol and Sick Days
Sessions are offered in several locations at different times. Here are the locations and times:
· Texas City: 4Cs Clinic, 2000 Texas Ave., 9 to 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays (ongoing)
· Galveston 4Cs Clinic, 4700 Broadway, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Wednesdays (ongoing)
· Galveston Jesse Tree, 2622 Market St., Galveston, 9 to 10:30 a.m., during the Friday Food Fair, April 27, May 11, May 25, June 8, June 22, July 6 and July 20
· Hitchcock: Greater St. Matthews Baptist Church, 6333 Hwy. 6, 9 to 10:30 a.m., during the Friday Food Fair, April 27, May 11, May 25, June 8, June 22, July 6 and July 20
· Bolivar Jesse Tree, 1006 W. Canal, Crystal Beach, 10 to 11:30 a.m., April 27, May 11, May 25, June 8, June 22, July 6 and July 20
· St. Vincent's House, 2817 Post Office St., Galveston, 2 to 4 p.m. Thursdays (ongoing)
· Galveston Island Community Center, 4700 Broadway, 6 to 7:30 p.m., May 9, May 23, June 6, June 11, July 25, Aug. 8 and Aug. 22
· Texas City Mall of the Mainland, 10000 Emmett F. Lowry Expy., 6 to 7:30 p.m., May 16, May 30, June 13, July 18, Aug. 1 and Aug. 15.
For more information, please call Darlene Cass at (409) 747-0822.
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Public Affairs Office
301 University Boulevard, Suite 3.102
Galveston, Texas 77555-0144