Continuing coverage: UTMB’s Dr. Taylor Riall is lead investigator of a new study performed by UTMB researchers and published in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, which reveals that despite national recommendations, invasive and expensive surgical breast biopsies were the first diagnostic step for 35 percent of Texas women diagnosed with a breast mass between 2000 and 2008. Out of all the surgeries analyzed during the six-year period, only 40 percent of women with breast lumps ended up having malignancies. The remaining 60 percent were noncancerous, or benign. [Note: This article was written by Molly Dannenmaier of UTMB’s Office of Marketing and Communications. Send your story ideas to]