Students with Disabilities FAQ

Where can I get information regarding services for student with disabilities?

The UTMB Handbook of Operating Procedures for Students with Disabilities,  IHOP Policy 7.1.1.

What constitutes a disability?

As stated in the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, disability is defined as having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; a record of having an impairment; or being regarded as having an impairment

What does substantially limiting mean?

Substantially limiting is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity, or significantly restricted as to the condition, manner or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person or most people.

Major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working.

In addition, this may also include the operation of a major bodily function, including but not limited to, functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions.

What is the process for registering as a student with a disability?

A student who has a disability may and/or should contact the Institutional ADA Officer.

What kind of documentation is needed for accommodations?

Documentation is a written report from a licensed and qualified professional in their respective field of expertise.

I received accommodations in prior years. Can I use past documentation of my disability at UTMB?

This is determined on a case by case basis by the Institutional ADA Officer. Before completing new testing, it is recommended that each student meet with the Institutional ADA Officer to discuss their case and seek necessary options and resources.

What if I suspect I may have a disability but have never been diagnosed?

A student who thinks he or she may have a disability can contact the Institutional ADA Officer to schedule an appointment to discuss his or her individual situation. Students who decide to request an accommodation will then provide adequate documentation to support their request for a 504 accommodation to the Institutional ADA Officer. There are several resources available to students on a case-case basis.

Is the Institutional ADA Office involved with the admissions process?

No, neither is a participant in the admissions process. All students must be “otherwise qualified” to attend UTMB and must meet the same admissions standards, regardless of disability, for each of the prospective programs at UTMB.

Are shuttle buses and other public transportation services accessible to students with disabilities?

Yes, shuttle buses are wheelchair accessible and all students are eligible to ride for free with current UTMB ID.

I am on crutches for a temporary injury. Can I get a special parking permit?

All requests for temporary parking accommodations must be addressed with the Institutional ADA Office. The ADA Office in partnership with the Parking Office will then review and determine what if any reasonable parking accommodation can be provided.

I have a temporary injury to my arm/hand. How can I take my tests?

If a student believes assistance is necessary, he or she can contact the Institutional ADA Officer to discuss what resources may be available on a temporary basis.

Who is the ADA contact for students?

Lela Lockett-Ware, OT, CDMS
Institutional ADA Officer

Lee Hage Jamail Student Center, Room 2.110 (2nd floor)

Tammie J. Collins, MBA, MS
Deputy ADA Officer
Lee Hage Jamail Student Center, Room 2.118  (2nd floor)
Office: (409) 266-1675

Lee Hage Jamail Student Center

Mailing Address:
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, Texas 77555-1316
(409) 747-9055
campusmapCampus Maps